Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

M.2 and pci-e form factor confusion

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I am looking to upgrade my wireless networking adapter. I will not go into detail on that as this is the wrong forum for it. What I will say in this forum, is I am now totally confused. I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble, so, when I searched Newegg for mini pci-e cards, I found m.2 form factor cards thrown in the search. I had never heard of the m.2 form factor. I researched the m.2 and thought I was reading a different language. My question is: will an m.2 form factor card fit in a mini pci-e form factor slot? Asking questions here beats buying a whole new computer.

Thanks

tjmcs

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

See:  https://www.pcmag.co...ini-pci-express

The m.2 supersedes mini pci-e but is not interchangeable.  Look at the connectors in the above link.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Thank you. That problem solved. Now the fun of sorting through cards for one that fits my notebook. Yeah.