Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MicroSD Card not Recognized in PC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

• Pip
  • 5 posts

The SDcard works in my phone and on other PC's. No problem with the USB port in my PC as tried plugging in other devices there - all ok. All USB's appear to be working in Device Manager 

The actual external storage devices, i.e external card reader and USB stick, show up in devices / settings when they are plugged in - so the PC is recognizing them - just not the MicroSD once it is inserted

I have right clicked on My Computer and selected Manage / Disk Management, and whilst the removeable devices are shown - they disappear once the MicroSD card is inserted into the removeable device

I have also attempted to uninstall USB devices and re-booted - no change

Any help would be appreciated

I had no problem with this prior to a motherboard change - so not sure if this has had an impact?

Edited by Fiery Phoenix, 29 April 2019 - 10:53 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Fiery Phoenix,

You mention a change of MBs;

Have you done a clean install of Windows since fitting the new MB.

Can you also post the brand and model name or number of the original MB and the replacement board.

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Board was same brand / type

AMD Athlon 64

No clean install of Windows was performed

Edited by Fiery Phoenix, 03 May 2019 - 09:53 AM.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Are you in the insiders programme for windows 10?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you also post the brand and model name or number of the original MB and the replacement board.

AMD Athlon 64 are a series of processors not motherboards, we need the MB information so that we can do some research.

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Apologies

it should be:

GA-MA78LMT-US2H (Gigabyte Technology)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks, a few questions if I may.

There are various revisions of the GA-MA78LMT-US2H MB, is the replacement the exact same revision as the original.

Has Windows been fully updated since you swapped boards.

What type of data is on the SD card.

There are no Windows 10 drivers for this particular board, what drivers are installed.

To do for us;

Can you insert the SD card into the external card reader then take and upload an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager for us "how to" below;

Access Disk Management via Run.

Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Uploaded as requested

Once the adapter with microsd is inserted the removeable disk options disappear

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by Fiery Phoenix, 10 May 2019 - 10:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You have not answered the questions that were asked.

Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Apologies 

The board is not a direct replacement - was the closest.  I was advised the only difference was additional USB ports

Windows was not fully updated

Unsure how to tell what drivers are intstalled for the board?  Device Manager  / Computer shows version 10.0.17134.1 fir ACPI x64 PC 

Just standard data on the SD card, i.e. pics, docs, etc

williamjoseph_lpa123

williamjoseph_lpa123

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

May be your SD card is corrupted. try to repair it using a third party tool. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

We can see a couple of potential problems, they may or may not explain the SD card issue.

The board is not a direct replacement - was the closest.  I was advised the only difference was additional USB ports

For the best/most stable results after changing a MB it is advisable to do a clean install of Windows** and then install the drivers for the MB starting with the chipset drivers first, you cannot expect a system to work correctly when the wrong drivers are installed.

** A work around doing a clean install is to start the computer in Safe Mode only (No Networking) uninstall the old drivers, restart the computer and then install the drivers for the new MB, it sometimes works ok but sometimes not and was far easier to do before UEFI BIOS became the norm.

Windows was not fully updated

Troubleshooting computer issues is a waste of time when Windows is out of date, any one of a number of the missing updates just may resolve any problems that a user is having.

Can I ask why the MB needed to be changed and if your Windows 10 product key is the OEM or full retail version.