Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Salvaging a pc

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

I replaced my older PC with a refurb  not for cost but because I wanted WIN7 PRO   I bough it at Staples but many retailers sell the same brand made by AST.   There is no warranty UNLESS you want to spend an exorbitant amount to ship it to Canada    They did send me a replacement power supply five weeks ago.  That at first seemed to be the fix.   Not so  now pretty much all systems seem affected and it is not dependable for more than an hour.  Today it wouldn't boot up at all.  Beyond learning to never buy from and out side USA company, is there anything I might try to get it working?   Run recovery, buy my own power supply, etc?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,208 posts

Gday Janis.

Please give us a little more info so we can best help you.   Answer every question.

The model of the computer.

The make, model of the replacement PSU they sent you.

Have you added any additional hardware, i.e. GPU, sound card, RAM.

Do you hear a beeps.

Are any messages displayed.

​What exactly happens when you try to power up.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

The pc is a Dell Optiplex 780    The replacement power supply doesn't appear to have a regular label,    There is a sticker on one of the cables that reads DC94  August 26-0.  Under that is FP07m34-11OK,

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,208 posts

Is the PC a tower, or other?   Here is a manual. > https://www.dell.com...uidebook_en.pdf we can tell from that what PSU should be installed.

What exactly happens when you power up?

Do you hear any beeps?

Are there any LEDS lit or blinking?