Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS.OLD FILES CONTINUE TO UPDATE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I was going to get rid of the Windows.old folder & thought I would look through all the files to see if I may want to keep some. I happened to notice that a lot of the folders have current (as of yesterday) files added & or updated. I assume this is not the way it is to be done. Any advice on why this is happening?

Advertisements

Almighty_Denny

Almighty_Denny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Every time you do a major update (i.e. from Windows 10 1809 to 1903) either a windows.old folder is created (if you didn't have one before) or the one you have is updated with new files and stuff. It's pretty normal.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

This is so you can go back to the previous version of windows.  I keep them for 2 weeks then I delete them if I have no problems.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

This is so you can go back to the previous version of windows.  I keep them for 2 weeks then I delete them if I have no problems.

No matter how computer & Windows savvy I think I may be, there is always something around the corner that I did not know. 

Thank you so much for the helpful info. I learned something new because of your willingness to share your knowledge. 

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Totally welcome.