Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Laptop is stuck in a blue sceen cycle.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

obituarybabe

obituarybabe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I need to start this with I am virtually computer illiterate, and besides the basic operations, I have no idea what I am doing.

I own an HP Pavilion 17-g121wm (Product N9E13UA#ABA)

I have not updated any of the hardware since I purchased it Dec. 2016.

A number of months ago, I had to update the BIOS, and during that process, I ended up having to reinstall windows. When I got it all sorted out, everything seemed to run just fine, no issues.

A couple of days ago, I got a blue screen, and it crashed. The error was the digital signature for this file cannot be verified, File: \windows\system32\winload.efi, error code: 0xc0000428.

(Will attach photo.)

I was able to pull it into recovery mode, and then I attempted to reinstall windows saving my data. It took an hour or more to complete, and it still would not come out of recovery mode and boot up, so I did it again, but this time clearing all the data in the computer. It seemed to resolve the issue.

I had it running for about an hour, and it crashed, back in blue screen.

I was able to redo the install through the recovery environment, and get it started again, while it was running I did a hard drive check, and it said it resolved an issue (Will attach photo.)

I contacted a friend of mine, and he believed that maybe connecting it to the internet may be what's causing the problem, maybe I had a virus or something that was messing with files, (I happen to torrent things, and this could be my punishment).

I downloaded the windows tool, and made another USB to reinstall windows via that USB. When I turned the PC on to start the process, it refused to go into recovery mode, and would only stay on the "Startup Options". Which consists of Computer Information, BIOS Settings, and Boot Settings.

I tired to change the boot pattern to have it go to the USB first. But it still gives me the same issue.

I also switched the BIOS between UEFI, and Legacy mode to see if that would resolve the issue. With no better results.

Sometimes, it seems to boot, but the screen resolution drops dramatically, and it still displays the same issue, same error.

When I tried to run a full diagnosis on the hard drive, it crashed mid way, and turned off.

I had reset the boot back to default, just to see if anything changes, nothing. There are several options on the crash screen, but it will only go to the "Startup options." Any other choice, does nothing.

I am really not super tech savvy, and I only know these processes of trying to get this fixed from people who have helped me, or YouTube. I did end up taking the bottom panel off, and just checking all the connections, and clearing out dust with air, and put it back together, and tried to boot it again, and it was still the same.

Any help or direction would be amazing, and I would be very thankful. This computer happens to be a necessity for school, and so if I can't get it working, I need to pursue other options.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3223.jpg
  • IMG_3226.jpg

Advertisements