Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What does Windows 10 know about me?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Matzur

Matzur

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello
I know, with my views I should not use Windows at all and change to Linux - but I try not to share my personal information with different corporations. For example, I do not use phones that have a finger scanner or face recognition. I would like to know what Microsoft knows about me if I use Windows 10?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,085 posts

Hello,

It knows where you are right now.

It knows what apps I opened on my Windows 10 computer, down to the exact day I opened them.

It has all my search data from its Edge browser.

It knows what movies I watched with its Windows 10 movie player, down to the exact date and time.

Interesting link below for you,

https://www.cnbc.com...s-about-me.html

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 282 posts

Of course it depends on whether you set up Windows 10 with a Microsoft Account (the default) or with a Local Account.

If the latter, then Microsoft will have a good deal less "personalised" information about you.

However, many W10 features do need you to have a Microsoft Account .... https://www.howtogee...s-in-windows-8/.... so it's trade off between privacy and functionality, and which is the more important to you.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

I personally use windows 10 with a local account now.  And I also have shutup from 0&0 as well, and turned off telemetry things because everything that you open on it will be sent to microsoft.  I learned more about this when I installed diagnostic data viewer, and it showed that what ever I opened it for sent to microsoft, what ever I copied and pasted, sent to microsoft.  So I use shut up to stop this from happening.

I do agree with Gary R when he said:

so it's trade off between privacy and functionality,

That is very true.  Microsoft really does bank on people allowing them to have these information about you.

Here is the link in case you want it for downloading shutup.  I personally have it stored on the C:\:

https://www.oo-softw...com/en/shutup10