Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power button issue

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the update scarlet.rose   Computers can be fickle and the problem something as simple as a bit of dust between two contact points, who knows, you at least have the Auto start o... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 desktop.

Lately I am having to press the power button a number of times to get the computer to start.

When I press it - nothing happens until the 4th or 5th attempt.

I am afraid that it is about to fail altogether.

What should I do please?

Is there another way to switch the computer on?

UPDATE
I've been looking into this............found and turned on in the bios for everyday in the morning 'Auto power on', which is good............but once the computer is turned off I might not be able to turn it back on later in the day through the power button.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 11 May 2019 - 07:51 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 desktop.

This model was first released almost twenty years ago so if as old as this there is a chance that the case power button is on its way out, a clue to this would be if nothing at all happens when you press the button, if however when pressing the button the computer you get LEDs flashing and/or signs of life from any internal cooling fans etc the problem could be with the power supply unit (PSU) or the power good signal between the PSU and the motherboard.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Thank you for replying phillpower2............your help is appreciated. At present the power button does turn the computer on, but it takes a few attempts of pushing it in to do so, which is not usual. Nothing happens at all during those first few attempts. Are there any other ways to turn a computer on other than 'Auto power on'?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Been trying to find a replacement power button on the internet but no luck I`m afraid  :(

What you describe does suggest that the button may be wearing out, what normally happens when you press the button is a connection is created between two contact points that send a signal to two pins on the MB that then sends a signal to the PSU which when everything is working properly will activate and send the required voltage to the mainboard, CPU and any other hardware that is connected to the PSU, HDDs, disk drives and sometimes case cooling fans.

If the power on button is worn out it should ideally be replaced but finding has proven difficult, there is no other way to power up the computer from a cold start.

If the computer can be put on stand by will it resume using the restart button on the chassis.

You are welcome btw  :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Very kind of you to take the time to do this, thank you. >

"Been trying to find a replacement power button on the internet but no luck I`m afraid"

Perhaps the contact points are no longer meeting as they should.

Appreciated the explanation about how a power button works - was wondering.

I do use stand by - may now have to use this for longer than I normally would. At least I have the 'Auto power on' for mornings (won't need the power button for that). :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 May 2019 - 06:03 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem at all  :thumbsup:

The only way around this without replacing anything is either to leave the computer on stand by when not in use or as you have done yourself use the Auto start, for me the latter would be less practical as the computer would be starting up and then be on all day when I am not around.

NB: Not sure if you have come across any on the internet yourself but there are people trying to sell Dell Dimension 8100 desktops describing them as vintage with prices as high as $250  :wacko:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I know stand by is a low power state, but I would be concerned about electricity consumption with stand by on all the time.

I could use stand by after I have finished using the computer in the morning.

At least it could be turned off at night.

Oh really, didn't know that! >

"NB: Not sure if you have come across any on the internet yourself but there are people trying to sell Dell Dimension 8100 desktops describing them as vintage with prices as high as $250"

Wasn't cheap when it was released. It's heavy - when I previously took it to a PC World technician, he picked it up and said - goodness, is this a Dell? They don't make them like this anymore....................

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 May 2019 - 06:35 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Usually those branded computers have special connections that complicates repairing simple things comparing with a power button on a OEM computer...

https://www.ebay.com...mbly/1300260683

Things like this also makes more difficult to find a way to power on the machine by connecting some pins on the motherboard :headscratch:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for helping me SleepyDude.

I have heard that about Dell computers...........

I don't feel confident working inside a computer............I don't have a spare if things go wrong.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 May 2019 - 12:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Have you decided to stick with using the Auto start function scarlet.rose and is the computer starting every time without any problem.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I decided to stick with the 'Auto power on' phillpower2...............the computer has started every time without any problem...............I then turned it off the correct way for testing later.

It has started manually without any problem too. 6 separate times I have pressed the power button - computer started first attempt.

? Strange - I hope it lasts..............

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the update scarlet.rose  :thumbsup:

Computers can be fickle and the problem something as simple as a bit of dust between two contact points, who knows, you at least have the Auto start option to fall back on should the problem ever reoccur.

Do you consider your initial question to have been answered.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Your help was much appreciated - my question has been answered. :)

PaulaReynolds

PaulaReynolds

• Pip
  • 6 posts

you can also us Desktop Computer PC Power Supply on/off Reset Push Button Switch like this... 

s-l300.jpg

Edited by PaulaReynolds, 16 May 2019 - 04:31 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome scarlet.rose and thank you for letting us know that you no longer required assistance with this  :thumbsup: