Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 HP Laptop Is Running Extremely Slow

- - - - -

Best Answer vtmckoy , 09 June 2019 - 04:38 AM

phillpower2, I live about 100 miles from him.  When I got back into town, I just left it with him and that night he started running diagnostics, which didn't look too good.  But, yes... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 on an HP Notebook and it is extremely slow.  For a while it's been a bit slow; but now, it is unbearable.  It takes so long to respond to any command.  A simple renaming of a file in the GUI takes forever.  For a while, I've noticed the 100% usage in the Task Manager for the Disk; and that is around the time that it's extremely slow.  But, when I add up the percentages, it does not total 100%.  I've attached 3 files (2 for Task Manager) and 1 screen print about my device.  Can someone please help??? Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100PercentDisk-TaskManager.PNG
  • AboutDevice.PNG
  • TaskManagerPerformance.PNG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello vtmckoy,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

If you need to save the results as a txt file can you please edit out your Windows product key before uploading the information here.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Thank you for your quick response.  I started having other issues with my laptop; so, I was unable to respond right back.  it looks like there is a short in the screen and the screen is black--in addition to my other issues.  

I ran Speccy; but when I attempted to publish the snapshot, I received the error:  "Error connecting to publishing server".  I tried several times, to no avail.  So, I saved the .txt file.  It stated to please edit out your Windows product key before uploading the information here.  I did not see "Windows product key" in the .txt file; but I did see a 25 character Serial Number.  I am not sure if that's the same thing; but, I removed that information.  If that information is needed, please let me know.

Attached is the Speccy text file.

Thank you,

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello vtmckoy,

How are you managing to troubleshoot this atm, is the notebook connected to an external screen and what other issues are you having.

A couple of things of note in Speccy that may or may not explain any drop in performance, the reason why I say may is because two of the things will have been present since day one, the HDD is the slower 5400rpm type and it has a lot of HP and other bloatware on it, this will slow things down, the other thing of note is you having Avast installed, this once highly recommended AV protection is out of favour these days as it now foists other unwanted services on folk, system tweaking tools, driver updater, browser plug ins etc, you are running Windows 10 so do not need Avast in any event, see canned explanation below;

Memory Usage 61 %

You have high memory usage for a computer that is not under any load, the bloatware or something associated with Avast could be causing this, open the Task Manager and check to see what is shown to be hogging the RAM.

Canned info regarding Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 and 10;

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Avast clean removal info here

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi phillpower2.

It's been tough going with this laptop.  As far as the screen going black,  I have no VGA port on this laptop; so, I can't display it to an external screen.  I haven't been really working on this laptop; but, apparently, it's the wiring in the screen that's bad.  If I keep playing with the screen, it eventually comes on.  So, right now, it's been on for a bit.  I bought an HDMI cable to see if I can temporarily divert it to my TV.  But, the screen hasn't went black yet; so, I'm not sure if it goes black again, will it present the black screen on the TV or what is actually running on the laptop at that time.

I read the canned info that you posted; and I will gladly remove Avast.  However, is Windows Defender automatically enabled or do I have to implement additional settings in order for protection to be activated?  I did disable Avast; however, I was still seeing a few Avast processes running and I am still experiencing 100% disk when I click on any function.  I just noticed a lot of Windows processes running today--about 101; looks like a bunch of Service Host processes.  I attached a snippet.

I will remove Avast and see how it behaves; but just wanted to know if I need to do anything additional for Windows Defender protection.  Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails

• TaskManager052319.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If I keep playing with the screen, it eventually comes on. 

This suggests that the MB to screen video cable/ribbon has either become damaged or loose, the latter is more common and can be caused by opening the lid on the notebook too far.

Connecting the notebook to a HD TV via the notebooks HDMI port should see you getting a good display there which will allow you to follow the Avast removal steps that were provided, once done, check that Windows Defender has been auto enabled, check for updates and then have it carry out a full scan.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I went through Control Panel to remove the Avast products; and everything removed cleanly.  I rebooted and Windows Defender is enabled.  The Virus and Threat protection has a yellow exclamation mark on it (see attachment).  When I go into that, it's referring to Ransomware protection, which is off.  And, it's asking that you setup OneDrive for file recovery options in case of a ransomware attack.  Should I turn this on?  After I rebooted, I ran a full scan, which was ok.

However, with Avast gone, I am still experiencing the 100% Disk utilization.  I remember your initial post stating that the HDD is the slower (5400rpm type) and it has a lot of HP and other bloatware on it, which will slow things down.  But, that's always been the case and this 100% Disk utilization just started happening about 1.5 to 2 months ago.  I've had this laptop for about a year and a half (estimate).  Is it possible to get rid of any of the HP bloatware?    Thanks...

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Windows Defender Screen Attachment

Attached Thumbnails

• WindowsDefenderScreen.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If you use one drive at all you should enable that virus protection option.

We can help with the bloatware etc but can I ask that you first do the following for us.

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator). 

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log.

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Thank you phillpower2,

I rarely use OneDrive; but I went ahead and enabled it.  Attached is the screen print from Process Explorer.  Thanks again...

Attached Thumbnails

• ProcessExplorerScreenPrint.PNG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I went through Control Panel to remove the Avast products;

Can you please follow any steps that have been suggested, the Avast clean removal tool was suggested as stray/orphaned files can sometimes be left behind and these can cause you problems, you may have been able to get rid of everything but then again you may not have, one of the worst things that Avast ever did was to start foisting the Avast SafeZone browser on unsuspecting folk, it has since been renamed "Avast Secure Browser" and can often be left behind after a Control Panel uninstall of Avast.

Is that the top of the PE screen results that you had.

Any change since you have uninstalled Avast.

CPU usage is very low which is good and so I would suggest that you next try a Windows 10 clean boot, create a new system restore point first and then see the "How to perform a Windows 10 clean boot" info here please disregard any other service or product that may be advertised at the link.

The idea of the clean boot is to see if you can identify if anything in particular is slow to load which in turn could be affecting overall performance.

Post back and let us know how the clean boot tests go and if needs be we will move on from there.

You are welcome btw  :)

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

Ok; I went ahead and used the Avast Clean removal tool and upon Restart, I ran into all kinds of trouble.  Right now, my laptop won't even boot all the way up.  Previously, when I went through Control Panel, it was about 4 Avast products that I removed and it included the "Avast Secure Browser".  It removed them cleanly and after rebooting, I came up fine.

After I ran the Avast Clean Removal Tool, it went very quick and came back and stated successful.  I have screen prints of this; but it is on my laptop, which I can't get to.  I am using someone else's laptop to post this because my laptop won't come up.  I took a picture of the screen and it is attached below.  It looks like it's in a loop; it will come up and paint the screen with the date on it and the picture.  Then it sits there and I get the Blue Screen that's attached.

Thanks, awaiting next steps... :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 0527191020_resized.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Is it possible that the computer was updating when it was shut down, running the Avast clean removal tool would not affect Windows in any way, how long after running the tool did you restart the computer.

Use the notebooks power on button to shutdown and restart the computer a couple of times, after two or three times you should be given the Windows RE (recovery environment) try it then post back with an update for us.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

No, it was not during any kind of windows update at the time I restarted after running the avast clear.  I entered the Windows Recovery and went into Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Repair. " It stated Repairing disk errors.  This might take over an hour to complete", but it didn't.  It came back with:

Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.  Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shutdown" to turn off your PC.  

Log file:  C:/WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt|SrtTrail.txt.

I clicked "Advanced options" and it went back to "Choose an option"

Continue, Use a device, Troubleshoot or Turn off your PC.

I'm not sure where to go next...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
 It stated Repairing disk errors. 

Looks like your previous problem/s were caused by a failing hard drive, is there any data on the drive that you would like to try and recover.

What options are you offered in the Windows RE.