Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

Jenna91

Jenna91

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi again.

- Fixed the hinges on this laptop last night and put it back together ( very carefully ).

- Power it on

- Works great for 5 minutes. Temperatures were good, programs were opening.

- Then it freezes. I wait. I try task manager. Unresponsive to anything. I hold power button to turn it off.

- I press the power button then have this situation:

- There is no fan noise. Usually the fan kicks on for a second on boot like most laptops.

- I tried 2 power cycles. This is where you take out the battery and unplug it then hold power button to drain electricity from it. Sometimes this resets things.

- Tried external monitor ( external monitor never responded with any type of image ).

- I took it back apart to make sure all of my ribbons and connections were good before posting.

My last guess is that the laptop probably got a component that has failed since I have never seen it act like this before. :( Which component that would be I am not sure.

If you have any idea on something I could try let me know. Thank you for reading.  

Edited by Jenna91, 26 May 2019 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
There is no fan noise. Usually the fan kicks on for a second on boot like most laptops.

Is the CPU cooling fan attached, an unconnected connector can be seen in your video, see attachment below.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

- I read your post and took it apart and checked the fan ribbon (uploaded pictures)

- RAM sticks = good ( tried them in a different laptop)

- Hard drive = good ( plugged it into a different laptop and it booted to windows on first try.

Here is a different video from just now showing what it is doing ( the same thing as before ).

- one other thing I notice is that you usually have to hold the power button down for the laptop to force shutdown. However, as it is now, when I press the power button it immediately turns off. I believe this tells me that no systems are booting up. You can also tell this by the screen not displaying anything.

Again, my only guess is that it is the complete or partial failure of one of the green electronic boards ( which one I am not sure because I do not know much about this kind of thing ). If you would like me to check or try any thing else I will. :thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Was it the fan that was disconnected, if yes, after connecting it can the fan now be heard when you try and power up.

Do you have access to an external screen that you could connect the notebook up to to see if you get any video on that.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

can the fan now be heard when you try and power up?    no fan activity at all at any point.

external screen

see if you get any video on that.   the external monitor did not show anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Was it the fan that was disconnected, 

You never answered the above for us.

No cooling fan spinning and a black screen are not a good omen but can I ask if when you use an external screen do you have to press a hot key such as F4, F5 or a combination of the Fn and F5 keys etc.

Getting the CPU cooling fan tested would be helpful if you can, you may be able to do this yourself if you have an old USB cable that you no longer use How to test a notebook cooling fan

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Was it the fan that was disconnected?

You never answered

The fan was disconnected only when I took the laptop apart for video. no response from external monitor after checking hotkey, power button, and connection to external monitor.

Edited by Jenna91, 27 May 2019 - 12:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Time to test the CPU cooling fan then, there is clearly power present when you press the power on button and if the cooling fan works ok when tested it points towards a bad MB, if the cooling fan does not work when tested the CPU may have fried when the fan originally failed, it all rests on how the fan checks out.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I will get back to you tomorrow with this. Thank you for your time today. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jenna91, 27 May 2019 - 12:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome  :)

Jenna91

Jenna91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I resolved this issue by doing the following shown in this video at 7:11 . My laptop is back on and functioning normally. :geek:   :wave:

https://youtu.be/pw-HLxVpph8?t=431

( from the video above ) :

-> Take out battery

-> Plug in charger

-> turn computer on and let it sit during the night or for a few hours ( it won't boot, just let it sit). For me, I let mine sit over night.

-> restart and give it a try.

I do not understand why it fixed it. I do know that my first clue was that I took out the RAM and it beeped at me when I tried to turn it on. This is the computer telling me there was no RAM in it. People on the internet said this beep notification meant the motherboard was likely okay. From there I started to google searching for black screen + no fan symptoms and solutions and came across that video. That is what worked for me.

Edited by Jenna91, 28 May 2019 - 03:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Great news and a job well done on your behalf  :yeah:

I do not understand why it fixed it. I do know that my first clue was that I took out the RAM and it beeped at me when I tried to turn it on. This is the computer telling me there was no RAM in it. People on the internet said this beep notification meant the motherboard was likely okay

Yes normally correct + you also knew that your RAM was good as you had already checked it in another notebook along with the HDD.

From there I started to google searching for black screen + no fan symptoms and solutions and came across that video. That is what worked for me.

As said it is great news that you have resolved the issue, great but real odd as yours is a Dell notebook, the guys internal cooling fan was working and you had almost fully dismantled the notebook on more than one occasion so there was definitely no residual charge left in the MB, strange  :headscratch:

Based on the above, I wonder if all it would have taken is to have left the notebook powered only by the AC adaptor with no battery in overnight.