Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fake Alerts in Browser, Windows Security and Macafee [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thanks again for the help.  I just did the refresh per the instructions and will check in tomorrow to report any results.   Cheers!

Advertisements

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
:thumbsup:

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

So far today, all is fine.  If we can please keep this open for another day or two to be sure it will be appreciated.  -Thanks

GM

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
OK :thumbsup:

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Well, I got the same message again.  This is so hard to get rid of.  Same message with new date of today.  Attached

Attached Thumbnails

• New Message 06-03-2019 Firefox.PNG

Edited by [email protected], 03 June 2019 - 07:01 PM.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi,

Does the issue occur in only Firefox, or other browsers?

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Seems to be only in Firefox and most of the time (I think) it generates when on the USA Today page.  Now that could be because we had that set to the home page so I'm not 100% sure on that.  I did try to refresh Firefox two time per the instructions.  One item of note it that it appeared to import all of my bookmarks and settings automatically.  I don't know if that is normal or not.  

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi,

This time we are going to try another approach with uninstalling an re-installing Firefox. We need to remove your Firefox profile data and settings. Before we do this we want to backup your bookmarks.

To back up your bookmarks:

In Firefox click the Bookmarks button Show All Bookmarks (likely down the bottom) > click Import and Backup(toolbar along the top) > Export HTML... and save it to your desktop.

Later when you re-install FF you can reverse the process and Import HTML... when the Wizard comes up just import the HTML file you had saved earlier.

Now

Please go to Uninstall Firefox and follow the instructions for uninstalling Firefox. Make sure you check the box to Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations.

After that download and reinstall Firefox from here.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Ok, suggested changes completed.  

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi,

Let me know if the pop-ups come back.

Advertisements

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I have not seen any messages in the last two days.  Hopefully this is a good sign.  I want to thank you again for your help and patience as this has taken a while. 

Cheers,

GM

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi,

OK, let's wait another 24 hours or so and let me know if you see any popups. :thumbsup:

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Well, all seems to be fine for now.  Another huge "thank you" for all of your help with fixing this issue.  I really appreciate your help.

:)

GM

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.