Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Different BSOD with Windows 10 (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Penelope79 , 15 June 2019 - 02:53 AM

So far, I'm not seeing BSODs, which is an improvement I guess. However, my PC keeps "freezing" in certain occasions (twice so far: again, during The Sims 4 gameplay and when I was running Perf... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Penelope79

Penelope79

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello everyone,

a couple of weeks ago I finally installed Windows 10 on my PC (I still had Windows 7). However, I already run into the BSODs apparently for different reasons, which are preventing me to use the computer normally (for instance, the last BSOD appeared when I tried to plug my iPhone 8 to the PC: it was the first time since I installed Windows 10 and, for the life of me, I can't get the iPhone recognized by the PC or, if it does, the BSOD shows up again).

I tried to find out more by letting WhoCrashed check the dump files. These are the results occured on different occasions:

On Mon 27/05/2019 16:45:52 GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052719-36843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B3EF0) 
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x40, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8047CC93B77)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug. 
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Mon 27/05/2019 16:45:52 GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xBEB7) 
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x40, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8047CC93B77)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Sistema operativo Microsoft® Windows®
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Driver file system NT
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug. 
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out. 
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Thu 30/05/2019 21:23:10 GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\053019-39734-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: asrappcharger.sys (AsrAppCharger+0x1730)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80516538676, 0xFFFFF506A2DA81E8, 0xFFFFF506A2DA7A30)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\asrappcharger.sys
product: Windows ® Win 7 DDK driver
company: Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider
description: ASRock App Charger Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: asrappcharger.sys (ASRock App Charger Driver, Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: asrappcharger.sys Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Thu 30/05/2019 21:23:10 GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: asrappcharger.sys (AsrAppCharger+0x1730)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80516538676, 0xFFFFF506A2DA81E8, 0xFFFFF506A2DA7A30)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\asrappcharger.sys
product: Windows ® Win 7 DDK driver
company: Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider
description: ASRock App Charger Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: asrappcharger.sys (ASRock App Charger Driver, Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: asrappcharger.sys Windows ® Win 7 DDK provider SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

CHDSK didn't find any error, the same goes for WhySoSlow. 

I also attached my specs, just in case:

OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8320E 45 °C Vishera 32nm
RAM
16,0GB Single Channel DDR3 @ 799 MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
ASRock 970A-G/3.1 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
HP 27es (1920x1080@59Hz)
2048 MBATI AMD Radeon R7 360 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
HDD
465GB Seagate ST3500413AS ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WD Elements 1042 USB Device (USB (SATA))
Optical drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
ASUS DRW-24F1MT ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   Penelope79,

Did you by chance do a Windows 7 in place upgrade to Windows 10 rather than clean installing Windows 10, reason I ask is because we can see that two of the crashes involve Windows 7 drivers that were provided by ASRock, the other two crashes being NT related are pretty generic crashes that just mean that something tripped the Windows file system up, possibly the same two ASRock drivers.

Is that a single 16GB stick of RAM that you are using or is it two Xs 8GB sticks.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thank you for your reply and the warm welcome, phillippower2! :)

Yes, I did upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The " asrappcharger crash occured as soon as I tried to plug my iPhone to the PC.

As for the RAM, they're 2x8GB, not a single stick. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Once Windows had been upgraded to Windows 10 the Windows 7 drivers needed to be replaced with the appropriate Windows 10 drivers which are available from here the AMD all in 1 driver ver:15.20.1060 is the first driver that you should download and install and please note that you should create a new system restore point before making any software or hardware changes.

Let us know if you have any problems with locating and uninstalling any of the Windows 7 drivers and we will help.

RAM
16,0GB Single Channel DDR3 @ 799 MHz (10-10-10-30)

Because you have two sticks of RAM the fact that it is running in single channel mode suggests that one of the sticks is in the wrong slot, your MBs user manual states that when using only two sticks of RAM the sticks should be inserted into either slots A2 and B2 or alternatively A1 and B1, not being in the correct slot/s means that you are only getting 50% of the performance that the RAM is capable of and if the MB is a bit picky it could also lead to system instability.

If you do not have it, to help with placing the RAM in the correct slots your MBs user manual can be downloaded from here and the memory slot information found on page 14.

You are welcome btw  :)

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thank you for your reply, philipower. 

Silly me about the sticks of RAM, I changed the slot accordingly. 

How can I safely locate and remove Windows 7 drivers from Windows 10? Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies Penelope79 busy with work atm so may not be around until Wednesday I`m afraid  :(

Download and run DriverView which you can get from here

Save the results to text and attach to your next reply for us if you will.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

No apologies needed, work always comes first! :)

I run Driver View and saved it as PDF. 

Again, thank you so much for your precious help!

Attached Files

Edited by Penelope79, 03 June 2019 - 01:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Penelope79,

Sorry but you have not saved the driver list in the format that was requested and being that I for one do not have a bionic eye we cannot see your attached info  :P

Can you provide the driver info in the text format that was previously requested.

For how to update your drivers after upgrading Windows from 7 to 10, please see info here

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Ahaha sorry Phililpower2, it's just that DriverView only allows report in HTML format (which is not attachable) and the .txt file looks like a mess in my eyes, but maybe not for you!  :D

Thank you!

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Penelope79,

Thanks for the txt log  :thumbsup:

Have you by any chance already uninstalled/upgraded any drivers since your OP on May 30th, reason I ask is because we can only see five ASRock drivers in Driverview and none are for the app charger, unless I am missing something.

Any more crashes since swapping the RAM sticks around.

Have you had a chance to look at the driver info at the link.

asmthub3.sys 00000000`64B90000 00000000`64BB6000 0x00026000 1 150 System Driver ASMedia USB3 Hub Driver 1.16.35.1 ASMedia Technology Inc ASMedia USB 3.1 Host Drivers 14/04/2016 06:44:16 14/04/2016 06:44:16 C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\asmthub3.sys A asmthub3 @oem29.inf,%asmthub3_ServiceDescription%;ASMedia USB3.1 Hub Service
asmtxhci.sys 00000000`67080000 00000000`670EE000 0x0006e000 1 123 System Driver ASMedia xHCI Host Controller Driver 1.16.35.1 ASMedia Technology Inc ASMedia USB 3.1 Host Drivers 11/08/2017 20:04:53 11/08/2017 20:04:53 C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\asmtxhci.sys A asmtxhci @oem0.inf,%asmtxhci_ServiceDescription%;ASMedia XHCI Service
AsrRamDisk.sys 00000000`61510000 00000000`6151D000 0x0000d000 1 45 System Driver ASRock RAM Disk Driver 0.0.3.0 ASRock Inc. ASRock RAM Disk 30/07/2014 17:45:40 30/05/2019 23:03:33 C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\AsrRamDisk.sys A AsrRamDisk
AsrVDrive.sys 00000000`67480000 00000000`67489000 0x00009000 1 140 System Driver ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Driver 1.1.0.0 ASRock Inc. ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker 03/02/2015 20:28:46 30/05/2019 23:01:29 C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\AsrVDrive.sys A AsrVDrive

Advertisements

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi Phillipower2! I should be the one to thank you for your help! :)

Yes, I solved the app charger issue but not by updating it: I tried to rename its extension from .sys into .OLD (I remember doing it once for a driver that was safe to change) and it's been the right choice. 

I also tried to check all the available drivers updates on Device Manager, but apparently they're all updated.

I tried to google the .sys files mentioned but, so far, I didn't find anything useful. I'm attaching a screenshot of DriverView info, though. 

I wish I could safely rename them too, but I'm afraid, to be honest. They look like they're related to my motherboard, but I installed the latest drivers. 

Attached Thumbnails

• asmthub3.jpg
  • asmtxhci.jpg
  • AsrRamDisk.jpg
  • AsrVDrive.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Penelope79,

Thank you for your 99.99% positive update but you missed answering a question :P any more crashes since swapping the RAM sticks around.

May i suggest that you leave those drivers as they are + read my canned info below;

Once Windows has been installed, you install the necessary drivers for the MB and other hardware and then leave well alone, drivers should not be allowed to auto update and you should never update any driver/s unless the new drivers are intended to resolve a specific issue that you are having, installing new drivers unnecessarily can actually cause you the very issues that any new drivers are intended to resolve and uninstalling the new drivers may not resolve the problem/s that installing the new drivers has caused.

Depending on priority it can take many months before the driver provider releases any fix and they sometimes do not even bother.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

:oops:  sorry, I clearly lost that bit!  :D

Yes, I encountered other crashes, but always related to ntoskrnl.exe. Upon further googling those files, I uninstalled the AsRock Utility which was apparently the right thing to do.

No other crashes since the uninstalling (at least, so far) but only "freezes" during gameplay of The Sims 4. I tried to check with WhySoSlow, which usually shows positive results, but this time it gave me a red alert on "Application responsivness" and "Kernel latencies and real-time capabilities".   :headscratch:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you,work has kept me busy elsewhere   :( 

Yes, I encountered other crashes, but always related to ntoskrnl.exe. Upon further googling those files, I uninstalled the AsRock Utility which was apparently the right thing to do.

As per my reply #2. you didn`t need Google  :D

we can see that two of the crashes involve Windows 7 drivers that were provided by ASRock, the other two crashes being NT related are pretty generic crashes that just mean that something tripped the Windows file system up, possibly the same two ASRock drivers.

Good that you have had no more crashes  :thumbsup:

Only ever seen kernel latency errors with Linux to be honest so not sure on that but the other two suggests that some hardware is not communicating effectively.

Once Windows had been upgraded to Windows 10 the Windows 7 drivers needed to be replaced with the appropriate Windows 10 drivers which are available from here the AMD all in 1 driver ver:15.20.1060 is the first driver that you should download and install and please note that you should create a new system restore point before making any software or hardware changes.

Did you do the above, Windows 10 has a lot of generic drivers that will work with such things as optical drives, keyboards and mice etc but only the motherboard manufacturer provides the chipset drivers which are the first and the most important drivers to be installed, they help with the driver installation for all other devices and you can have various sorts of problems if you do not install them or if you install them out of sequence.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thank you PhillipPower2!

Yes, I did check the drivers (one by one) and apparently they are all up to date. 

I talked too soon though: I had another crash/freeze (although, again, during The Sims 4 gamplay: the only videogame I play to relax after a long working day and it even crashes my pc  :bashhead: ) but always do to ntoskrnl.exe. By the way, do you know what is it, exactly? I googled it but it seems like this particular BSOD can be caused by many different issues.