Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Hard drive no longer connecting

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Hello everyone,

Many years since I sought help here, things have been going well until I encountered a problem yesterday.  Hopefully someone will be able to suggest a solution.

I am using a Windows 10 laptop and yesterday was using a USB hard drive, plugging it in and ejecting it several times.  For no apparent reason it stopped being recognised by Windows 10 and nothing I do seems to resolve this problem.

When the device is plugged in the computer chimes and the LED light on the drive lights, but no longer flickers suggesting to me that it is not reading the contents of the drive.

I have been able to 'see' the drive in Disk Management but this seems to be intermittent.

In Device Manager and Devices and Printers it shows up and is apparently working properly

I get the USB icon in the task bar but when I try to use this to Eject the drive, I either get no response or the message 'Problem Ejecting USB device'.

All this seems to me to indicate that there is still life in the drive and it is not beyond hope, but I have no idea how to restore the connection.  Can someone please help me to recover access to the drive as it contains some valued data.

In case it helps, I am attaching screen shots of the various notifications,

I have tried to access the drive on a Win7 PC but without success so I believe the problem lies with the drive rather than with my laptop/USB ports.

Thanks in advance, and best wishes to one and all,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• Problem ejecting USB.JPG
  • Device Manager.JPG
  • Devices and Printers.JPG
  • Properties.JPG
  • Disk Management.JPG

Edited by rogerbid, 03 June 2019 - 02:08 AM.

Advertisements

Almighty_Denny

Almighty_Denny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Have you also checked out the USB cable you're using with your drive? It could also be the cause of the problem.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hello, thanks for your reply. I have in fact tried other cables so I fear this is not the answer. I did think I would try a new enclosure, and might buy one today just in case.