Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound from laptop - Red X

Best Answer Zylocks , 28 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

It works great! Thank you. Very simple and easy to use too, just plug it in and I have sound Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hello,

I am unsure if this is the best place to post this question.  My laptop no longer plays sound, and has a red X through the audio speakers in the toolbar.

Here are some of the things I have tried.

Followed the troubleshoot guide after clicking on the red X.

Updating the sound drivers.

Uninstalling/reinstalling the sound drivers.

A couple other things that are driver related.

Odd note:  After doing all of these changes, I closed up my laptop (sleep mode), brought it to my moms place, and the sound worked for a short period of time.  I changed nothing, brought it back home, and it no longer works.  It has been about a week since that incident and there is still no sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello Zylocks,

Odd note:  After doing all of these changes, I closed up my laptop (sleep mode), brought it to my moms place, and the sound worked for a short period of time.  I changed nothing, brought it back home, and it no longer works

Could be a loose connection between the speakers and the MB.

Have you checked in the Device Manager to see if there is a yellow ! or red X against the Sound, Video & Game Controllers.

We need the brand and model name or number of the notebook and the version of Windows that you are running, 7, 8.1 or 10.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hey, thanks for the response.

I feel everytime I look at device manager the sound, video and game controllers look different.  I don't really understand why.

When I looked this time, there was a yellow exclamation mark beside Realtek High Definition Audio.  I right clicked, went to properties, driver.  It appeared there was no driver installed.  The computer paused for a second, and then it looked like a driver was installed.  After this process the red X on the speakers in the toolbar has disappeared for the first time in two weeks.  The yellow exclamation has disappeared from the sound audio and game controller in device manager.  There is still no sound, but I can now increase and lower volume (could not when the Red X is there).  When I go to youtube and play something the sound mixer shows movement.  I can select two different "select playback device" options when I click on the speakers in the toolbar; speakers (2- realtek high definition audio) or Realtek Digital Output (2- realtek high definition audio).  I don't think I had two options when my sound was working.  

Sorry if this sounds jumbled, I'm trying to give you as much info as possible.  

Model: Asus X555L

Windows 10.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
The yellow exclamation has disappeared from the sound audio and game controller in device manager.  There is still no sound, but I can now increase and lower volume

Means one of two things, the audio is being sent to the wrong output or there is no connection from the motherboard to the speakers.

Being able to control the volume levels suggests that your audio chip is ok, don`t suppose you have a set of external speakers that you could try hooking up to the notebook.

Below is an attachment of my sound settings in Windows 10, are yours set the same, yours should be Realtek whereas mine says Microsoft.

Just a fyi, there are five variations of your notebook if you check here

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I restarted my computer, and now the red x is back.  I am unable to change volume or anything again.

Under my computer it says the model is X555LAB.  I have attached a picture of the current sound settings when the red x is active.

Back in the device manager, the sound, video and game controller settings have now disappeared altogether.  I clicked on show hidden devices, and it brought it back.  There are now a number of different options under the sound, video and game controller, whereas before there was just the one.  I attached a picture of it too.

I don't have any external speakers no :S.  When I test with headphones (both when there is the red X, and when there wasn't) I wasn't able to hear anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• Device manager - sound.png
  • sound settings.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Apologies for the delay, not been around for a couple of days  :(

Your update info suggests that the audion chip is either disabled or not detected.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

If you need to save the results as a txt file can you please edit out your Windows product key before uploading the information here.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

No problem at all, thanks for getting back to me.  I think their server is being a little wonky, but I ended up getting a link after a couple tries.  I then had to refresh a few times to see it, but it worked in the end. 

http://speccy.pirifo...8xTzM1V48uiDpTo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
There is no audio device detected I`m afraid  :(

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 5200U @ 2.20GHz: 45 °C
Broadwell-U 14nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X555LAB (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 5500 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (SATA ): 31 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
No audio card detected

Does your model of notebook have the Multi Drive DVD, some do but others not and the reason that I ask is because no such drive is detected either.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Are you asking if there is a CD drive?  There's no CD drive on this laptop.

Does the "no audio card detected" mean it's a hardware related issue?  Like its failed, or the connection has become loose or something?  ie. I'd either have to take it in to be repaired or get a new laptop?

Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Thanks for confirming that there was no optical drive.

Because the audio issue has been intermittent it does suggest that it is hardware related and one that is neither easy or inexpensive to repair, notebook motherboard repairs are notoriously expensive and so much so that it is most often not a cost effective option.

One final check that you can do is in the BIOS, some MBs allow you to enable/disable the audio chip, to check this, restart the computer and access the BIOS, click on the Security tab then hopefully the I/O interface security and the audio, Lan and wireless etc options.

All is not lost if the audio chip has failed as you can get yourself a USB type device like the example here

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Ok.  I checked out the BIOS, and I included the settings it's currently on.

I changed the Audio one from unlock to lock and it did not seem to help.  I wasn't sure if it meant it was currently unlocked, or changing it would unlock it. 

I think I'll purchase the plugable USB audio thing you linked to.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190620_175049 (1).jpg
  • IMG_20190620_175040 (1).jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Unlock was the correct option so I`m afraid that it does look like the audio chip is bad and using a USB audio device therefore your best option.

Would you be so good as to let us know how the USB device works out for you.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Yup. Will do. Just ordered it today.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:thumbsup:

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
✓  Best Answer
It works great! Thank you. Very simple and easy to use too, just plug it in and I have sound