Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 questions

• Please log in to reply

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hey guys,

How can you tell if windows 7 has a "legal" installation (using a legal license)?

Also is upgrading from windows 10 to windows 7 still free?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

gday. 

Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

If you meant, upgrade from W7/8/8.1 to W10, for free? it is still possible, but can be a bit envolved.   Please read this article.

https://www.zdnet.co...ows-10-upgrade/

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Is there any other way, because I know a few people that have pirated licences and it still says that its genuine that way.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

For more info, in your browser, type, '"is my Windows pirated"

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

For more info, in your browser, type, '"is my Windows pirated"

Thank you, do you know any other ways of 100% making sure that a windows 7 license is legal because I have seen some of my mates computers that have windows 7 pirated license and theirs still say its genuine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry, don't know any other ways   Windows Servers may still pick up non genuine windows at a future date, say when checking for updates.   Guess they are being lucky.

Are you sure they are using pirated software, not ]OEM license key.s

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Yes I am sure, cause that I how I learnt about that type of thing, not that I have any interest in that type of thing any more.  In fact I rather buy my licenses.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Non legit OS tend to only have one or two old updates installed (usually the date that Windows was installed) and the Windows update option will be disabled, Azarl provides a way of checking when updates were last installed, see info here not sure if Microsoft are still as hot with Windows 7 due to it coming towards its end of life support but with Windows 10 for example a non legit OS that is allowed to update will at some point be detected by Microsoft and the usual on screen message of using unlicenced software will appear and the user blocked from being able to update.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Thank you, because one of my mates want to get windows 10, but we both don't know if her license is legal because she got it from someone else and his actions are a little questionable.

EdwardRees

EdwardRees

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I made installation from win10 to win7 for free.

Of course if you don't have old PC and win8 setup as the first.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thank you, because one of my mates want to get windows 10, but we both don't know if her license is legal because she got it from someone else and his actions are a little questionable.

Check the amount of updates since the initial installation date + the date that Windows was last updated and that should give you a pretty good idea.