Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Windows 7 converted to Windows 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

EthelH

EthelH

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi!

I am not a computer expert, I know little of it. I was given a desktop by my friend and it was using Windows 7 and had upgraded to Windows 10. Now I get this pop-up saying by 2020, Windows will no longer support security updates and all to my desktop. I don't know what to do. Can I reformat or erase everything on my desktop and just buy a Windows 10 Operating System without the need to have the disk that comes along with the computer when you bought it?

I mean the owner said when she first have the computer, when she turned it "On" she had to put a disk (Driver, she said) to make the computer work. She no longer have it, or she lost it since it has been a long time. I am sorry, I have limited knowledge about computers and I hope I can get help from here.

Thank you!

EH

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   EthelH,

You have post on the Windows 10 forum but what you describe suggests that you are running Windows 7, are you saying that the computer has run Windows 10 in the past and that before your friend gave you the computer they formatted the hard drive and then installed Windows 7 before giving the computer to you.

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

EH,

Just download the windows 10 from below link thinks will be taken care for you.

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

CarlorRiv

CarlorRiv

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I agree with this solution always you have professional license of windows

EH,

Just download the windows 10 from below link thinks will be taken care for you.

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

nuancered

nuancered

• Pip
  • 3 posts

buy a Win10 license and you can still receive updates after 2020

Victorianvictory

Victorianvictory

• Pip
  • 2 posts

The Windows 10 which new runs on my computer was upgraded from Windows 7,this is the secound time i have upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10.

After the first upgrade,Windows 10 didn't seem to work very well on my computer,and then I did a second upgrade in following way.

https://www.windows1...windows-10.html

Edited by Victorianvictory, 09 September 2019 - 07:59 PM.