Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computers (not malware)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi all,

I have a couple of computers that work ok but aren't as fast as they used to be. One of them, the laptop, had Windows re-installed a while ago which livened things up but it didn't take long for it to slow down again (basically once I put all of the software back on).

I have a suspicion that the anti-virus software I use (Bullguard) consumes a lot of resources and therefore is the primary cause of the problem but I can't prove it.

Is there an easy way that I can identify what's slowing them down?

TIA

RSP

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

My 1st thought is to disconnect from the internet and then disable your anti-virus temporarily to see if it improves.

SteveCatDancer

SteveCatDancer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm not qualified to offer any advice but Google and Chrome,especially, slow my system significantly.

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Did you tried using the system in safe mode and safemode with networking that usually disables the Anti-virus and other heavy software. Lets us know, how it goes.

nuancered

nuancered

• Pip
  • 3 posts

What's the Windows version and did you install updates recently?

P.S it runs on hdd or ssd?

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Any update on your issues,