Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC freezes on several occasions

• Please log in to reply

Penelope79

Penelope79

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello everyone,

I took Phillipower2 suggestion (by the way, thank you!) to open a new thread here, for the following issue.

My PC occasionally "freezes" and, in order to make it work again, I am forced to manually boot it.

The "freezes" are independent from BSODs (in any case, when a few of them occured, it was always because of the ntoskrnl.exe module).

It usually happens, after awhile, if I play at the Sims 4. However, the most recent freezes happened when I was simply using internet (Google Chrome is my browser), opening a file or even simply moving the cursor with my mouse.

My specs are:

OS

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8320E 45 °C Vishera 32nm
RAM
16,0GB 
Motherboard
ASRock 970A-G/3.1 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
2048 MBATI AMD Radeon R7 360 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
HDD
465GB Seagate ST3500413AS ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WD Elements 1042 USB Device (USB (SATA))
Optical drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
ASUS DRW-24F1MT ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I am also attaching the latest HWMonitor screenshots and, in case it helps, the screenshot of the latest WhoCrashed file.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• Cattura1.PNG
  • Cattura2.PNG
  • Cattura3.PNG

Advertisements

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Its definetly a Driver error, I would suggest you can go for these steps,

Update the Devcie drivers, the 4 basic one, Chipset, Audio, Video and Bios

See if you have any overclock setting in bios (reset it back to defaults)

Run a deep memory test on your system.

Hope that helps.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thank you Nemesis-Dinu.

I run MemTest86 and my pc passed all tests. I checked drivers again from Device Manager and they're all updated. The only thing I have yet to try is the BIOS update, but just because I have no idea how to proceed and Iheard it could be dangerous... is that correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,039 posts

Hello Penelope79,

The "freezes" are independent from BSODs (in any case, when a few of them occured, it was always because of the ntoskrnl.exe module).

A pretty generic error i`m afraid as the error can be produced by Windows randomly when it detects a problem and forces a shut down to prevent Windows potentially becoming corrupted.

First suggestion, try running the computer in Safe Mode only to see what happens, give it thirty minutes or so then restart the computer in Safe Mode with networking, again give it thirty minutes or so to see what happens then post back with an update for us.

NB: Your HDD is running hot which can cause problems with lock ups if the drive gets around the 50C range.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

I tried regular Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking: in both instances, everything run smoothly and no freezes occured. 

Is there anything I can do to decrease the HDD's temperature? Do you think it can have something to do with the freezes?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,039 posts

Hello Penelope79,

Your update suggests that this may be a software issue but if it is the result of overheating hardware reducing the temps inside the case is the only answer, for now, see the info below provided courtesy of Ztruker, it will take you a while and no rush on my behalf as I may not be around until Saturday some time

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

How to access msconfig in Windows 10

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.) make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable Allbutton.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Enable everything else you disabled. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,039 posts

Not heard back from you Penelope79, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Penelope79

Penelope79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi Phillipower2,

I have yet to try your suggestion (unfortunately a few things occured in my life lately that made me forget everything else), I will update as soon as I can.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,039 posts

No worries Penelope79 and thank you for taking the time to get back to us  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,039 posts

Not heard back from you Penelope79, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.