Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failing Hard Drive

Best Answer SpywareDr , 24 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

Cool beans! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5157. I have been getting the blue screen of death every so often for awhile now but now it's all the time. Ive run diagnostics on the computer and it's without a doubt a failing hard drive. I installed a new hard drive and went to re-install the operating system (windows 7) from disks that I got when I purchased the computer only to learn that the disks are only repair disks. So the issue I have is where on this hard drive do I/would I find the files I need to install on the new hard drive. I never backed up my system because 1. I thought I had the os on disk and 2. I save everything to an external hard drive. Can you please advise. I thank you in advance for lsl your time and attention in this matter.

tazzi

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

https://www.microsof...wnload/windows7

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello SpywareDr!

I want to thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to try and help me. I went to the link you provided and I entered the requested key code information only to have windows tell me that it could not be verified. Here is the exact message I received;

Error

"The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

So, I then contacted Toshiba and this is what they told me. 1) There is a hidden partition/file on the failing hard drive that contains the o/s installation files, 2) They would not tell me where I could find the file because they said that my device was no longer under warranty but if I wanted to pay them $69.99 they could help me out. Since I can not afford that I'm S.O.L. I even asked them if they could at least give me the name of the hidden file and they said they couldn't give me that information.

I have no experience whatsoever in finding things hidden on a hard drive so I don't know if it's something relatively easy or a royal pain in the butt? Would you have any idea?

I decided to take a look again at the disks that I paid Office Max (where I purchased the computer) an extra $35.00 to see if I could garner anything there but because my experience and working knowledge of computers is minimal it really doesn't mean anything to me.Those disks were/are supposed to have the o/s installation files. Can you tell me if the disks are only recovery/repair disks or do they have my o/s installation files? 

Here is the list of the files on Disk #1 (sub folders not included). I did copy what the DATA file had as well as the PLANDATA.

FILES ON DISK 1

BIN
BOOT
PLANFOLDER
SOURCES
ZZIMAGES
!V6_00_03.VRP
BOOTMGR
DATA
PLANDATA 
~~~~~~~~~~~
DATA FILE

[HDDRecovery]
RecoverySize=11502
[MasterInformation]
MediaInformation=WINDOWS
SoftwareNumber=TI106033W0C
CDNUM=1
CDMAX=3
[VALUE]
GetManufacture=TOSHIBA
UsingDriveSize=16688497469

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLANDATA FILE

[Define]
D_HDDRMODE=HDD1
D_IMAGETYPE=single
D_MBRPATH=\Image\MBR
D_MBR=S3B4900A201
D_TOSMBRPATH=\Image\MBR
D_TOSMBR=S3B4901A201
D_NTFSID=07
D_WINDOWSIMAGEPATH=\Image\Windows
D_LANGUAGEPATH=\Image\WinPE\ENG
D_OSTYPE=Windows7
D_OSARCHITECTURE=64bit
D_PARTITIONMINIMUMSIZE=40960MB
D_WINDOWSDRIVE=C
D_WINPE=S3B7700A001
D_WINDOWSVOLUME=TI106033W0C
D_WINDOWSIMAGE=TI106033W0C
D_HDRECID=17
D_HDDRECOVERYPATH=\Image\Windows
D_HDDRECOVERYVOLUME=HDDRECOVERY
D_HDDRECOVERY=TI106033W0C
D_HDDRECOVERYSIZE=12002MB
[HDD1_Area1]
AreaType=MBR
MBRPath=D_MBRPATH
MBR=D_MBR
[HDD1_Area2]
AreaType=TOSMBR
MBRPath=D_TOSMBRPATH
MBR=D_TOSMBR
[HDD1_Area3]
AreaType=WinRE
PartitionType=Primary
FileSystem=NTFS
PartitionID=27
Size=1500MB
BootInfo=Active
VolumeLabel="System"
SWImgProtonPath=D_WINDOWSIMAGEPATH
SWImgProton=D_WINDOWSIMAGE
LastChangeID=YES
[HDD1_Area4]
AreaType=Windows
PartitionType=Primary
FileSystem=NTFS
PartitionID=D_NTFSID
Size=MAX
BootInfo=InActive
LanguagePath=D_LANGUAGEPATH
OSType=D_OSTYPE
PartitionMinimumSize=D_PARTITIONMINIMUMSIZE
Language=D_WINPE
SWImgProtonPath=D_WINDOWSIMAGEPATH
SWImgProton=D_WINDOWSIMAGE
VolumeLabel=D_WINDOWSVOLUME
DriveLetter=D_WINDOWSDRIVE
OSArchiTecture=D_OSARCHITECTURE
[HDD1_Area5]
AreaType=HDDRecovery
PartitionType=Primary
FileSystem=NTFS
PartitionID=D_HDRECID
Size=D_HDDRECOVERYSIZE
BootInfo=InActive
SWImgProtonPath=D_HDDRECOVERYPATH
SWImgProton=D_HDDRECOVERY
VolumeLabel=D_HDDRECOVERYVOLUME
LastChangeID=YES
[HDD1]
AreaCount=5
SetMax=NONE
Type=SATA
[HDD2_Area1]
AreaType=UserData
PartitionType=Primary
FileSystem=NTFS
PartitionID=D_NTFSID
Size=MAX
BootInfo=InActive
[HDD2]
AreaCount=1
SetMax=NONE
Type=SATA
[HDD]
Count=Mounting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My apologies for asking you for so much but I really need some help. Again I thank you in advance for all your time and attention in this matter. Peace to you and yours.......

tazzi

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Since computer manufacturers each use different schemes and programmers to create their factory restore setups there is no way to tell from a list of files exactly what or where everything might be.

Try booting the computer from the CD/DVD that contains "BIN" and "BOOT" and see what comes up on the screen. Hopefully it'll be a factory restore that'll re-install Windows for you.

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Okay bear with me for a moment and my ignorance but I try and do this onto the new hard drive, correct? Thank you!!!

tazzi

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Turn the computer off.

Insert the CD/DVD into the CD/DVD drive.

Turn the computer On and see if it will boot from the CD/DVD.

If not, repeat, but this time press whatever key(s) are needed to get into your computers BIOS Setup, reset it to try and boot from the CD/DVD before trying the hard drive, then save the settings and exit. It should now try to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

If the computer cannot find anything to boot an Operating System from, it will throw an error message up on the screen and simply stop and wait for someone to solve the problem(s).

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello SpywareDr!

I just wanted to tell you that I tried what you suggested and it worked....YIPPEEEE!!! Thank you so very much. Peace to you and yours.

tazzi

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
✓  Best Answer

Cool beans! :thumbsup: