Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarting issue

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Megarig

Megarig

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi all!

I just joined this forum, and I'm hoping that I can find some answers to a problem I'm having. I pretty much have to leave my PC in Sleep Mode anymore, because if I shut it down, or restart it, it will power on for a few seconds, and then shut off. A few seconds later, it comes on again, and then shuts off after a few seconds. A few seconds later, it comes on again, and this goes on and on for a while until the system finally boots into Windows. After it boots, I'm fine. But I've gotten really afraid of having to do anything that might require a restart, because I've seen it take upward of 45 minutes before I'm up and running.

I've read that this can be either a motherboard issue, or a power supply issue. I've already tried a known good PSU. It doesn't help. So I'm left believing that the board might be the issue.

I know I should probably provide a few specs: HP Envy 700-074, Intel i5 4430 @ 3Ghz, 12 GB RAM, 1.8TB HDD, Intel graphics. It's a 2013 model, so not new, but this issue has been going on for a few months.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hi Mergarig,

Sounds like the mobo might be the issue, but lets also check the file system etc,  if you can open up CMD in Admin mode, and then type in:

sfc /scannnow

then hit enter, and let us know what the results are?

Megarig

Megarig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This is what I got:

sfc_scannow.jpg

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hey Mergarig,

Can open up CMD in Admin mode, and then type in:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

then hit enter, and let us know what the results are?

Megarig

Megarig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Here are the results of the health scan

DISM_ScanHealth.jpg

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi all!

I just joined this forum, and I'm hoping that I can find some answers to a problem I'm having. I pretty much have to leave my PC in Sleep Mode anymore, because if I shut it down, or restart it, it will power on for a few seconds, and then shut off. A few seconds later, it comes on again, and then shuts off after a few seconds. A few seconds later, it comes on again, and this goes on and on for a while until the system finally boots into Windows. After it boots, I'm fine. But I've gotten really afraid of having to do anything that might require a restart, because I've seen it take upward of 45 minutes before I'm up and running.

I've read that this can be either a motherboard issue, or a power supply issue. I've already tried a known good PSU. It doesn't help. So I'm left believing that the board might be the issue.

I know I should probably provide a few specs: HP Envy 700-074, Intel i5 4430 @ 3Ghz, 12 GB RAM, 1.8TB HDD, Intel graphics. It's a 2013 model, so not new, but this issue has been going on for a few months.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Does the system heat up and shut down or its normal , if its normal, try booting to the safe mode and see if boots to windows in one go and see for how long it stays on.

Megarig

Megarig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

No. I have no issues with the temps, and it doesn't shut down on its own. It's only if I shut it down, or restart it, that I have the issue. I could try to get into Safe Mode...but I'm worried it won't even do that, since it does what it does.