Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mesh wifi for adjacent living quarters

• Please log in to reply

jolab0322

jolab0322

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a barn that my husband and I turned into a vacation rental and our wifi signal from our house is very weak. Our last guest said that we shouldn't even state that we have wifi at all.  Yet some have been able to get a signal.  The barn is about 20 feet from the house.  Would it be worth me spending the money to invest in a mesh wifi system?

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Don't have any personal experience of Mesh routers, but the following article contains quite a bit of useful information about them ... https://www.tomsguid...news-24580.html... and some of the benefits they bring.

I'm afraid only you can decide whether the expense is worth your while or not.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

An alternative ( and certainly a lot cheaper) might be to run an Ethernet cable across the 20 ft gap between your home and the barn, and connect up to an old router set up as a Wireless Access Point. This way the signal strength should be pretty good.

jolab0322

jolab0322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Don't have any personal experience of Mesh routers, but the following article contains quite a bit of useful information about them ... https://www.tomsguid...news-24580.html... and some of the benefits they bring.

I'm afraid only you can decide whether the expense is worth your while or not.

Thank you very much!

jolab0322

jolab0322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

An alternative ( and certainly a lot cheaper) might be to run an Ethernet cable across the 20 ft gap between your home and the barn, and connect up to an old router set up as a Wireless Access Point. This way the signal strength should be pretty good.

I'll check into that!  Thanks so much for your response!

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

You're welcome. :)

Good luck finding an affordable solution to your problem.