Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell optiplex 780 mini tower

Adding second monitor not dup

• Please log in to reply

jackskellington

jackskellington

• Pip
  • 1 posts

How do I connect 2 monitors to my optiplex 780 mini tower that are not duplicate screens?

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi jackskellington, and welcome to our community!

The question is a bit unclear. But I'll answer according to my understaning and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Your computer has only a single video output for a monitor (a blue VGA connector), so if you want to be able to have a 2nd monitor connected to it you'll need some kind of graphics adapter. Either an internal dedicdted graphics (which might be cheaper but could be compicated to install and setup) card or an exteranal USB graphics adapter.

I'd say that something like the Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI\DVI\VGA Video Graphics Adapter should be a good option.