Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot load Office 2013

Office 2013 previous trial version

• Please log in to reply

shall10

shall10

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi

I want to up grade from Office 2007 to Office 2013, but right at the end of a lengthy loading period, during which I was not asked for the security key, I get an error message saying that the upgrade failed due to a previous trial version having been installed.  This is not so, and have tried all the advice given from a Google search, even editing the registry, but to no avail.

All help appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

If you still have your previously purchased copy of Office 2007, I would check and uninstalled all instances of Office. You might have downloaded and installed a trial version or did not register your product code. Some of my upgrades do uninstall any previous copiyI have installed in the same path but not all software will do this.

If you have gotten to where you can select a new path to install instead of the default path install program shows you, you might try changing the path and the Program File name if it shows something identical.

Might give your operating system just in case this is significant. If Win 10, make sure you have all the latest updates. Current version for me is 1903.

Edited by AstraNut, 06 August 2019 - 07:07 PM.

shall10

shall10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks.  I did uninstall as much as I could see relating to Office on the system, which is Win8.1 on the laptop.  I might try a different path.  I don't think I've got the original 2007 disk, so no Office at all at present!

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Thanks.  I did uninstall as much as I could see relating to Office on the system, which is Win8.1 on the laptop.  I might try a different path.  I don't think I've got the original 2007 disk, so no Office at all at present!

OK. I hope changing the path works, but you might go back and remove all folders for Office in the Programs x86 (32-bit) and Program Files list. Also, look at the AppData folders. Probably the Local and Roaming folders and see if you have any office folders there. I suggest you just rename these folders in order to keep them in case.

I take it that you do not have the Product Code for Office 2007 since you don't have the disk? You might look for a free program that looks for software Product Codes on your computer. I used one long ago when I was using Vista.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Use the Microsoft tool to remove Office completely https://aka.ms/SaRA-...UninstallFromPC

shall10

shall10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks to both of you - I'll try the suggestions and report back.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Thanks to both of you - I'll try the suggestions and report back.

Forgot about the Microsoft tool. :D I would use this first of all.

shall10

shall10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I tried the Microsoft tool, then after loading Office 2013 again, still got the usual message "Error 25004.  The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine.  This is most likely due to previous Office 2013 trials being installed.  (System error:- 1073422314).

As I have said before, I did not have the option of entering a product key, and no 2013 trials have been installed.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I tried the Microsoft tool, then after loading Office 2013 again, still got the usual message "Error 25004.  The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine.  This is most likely due to previous Office 2013 trials being installed.  (System error:- 1073422314).

As I have said before, I did not have the option of entering a product key, and no 2013 trials have been installed.

Microsoft says, "This issue occurs when you try to install a Windows Installer (MSI)-based version of Office 2013 on a computer on which the computer manufacturer has already installed a version of Microsoft Office 2013."

Not sure what operating system you are using, but these may work even on Win 10. According to Microsoft:

To resolve this issue, uninstall the existing version of Microsoft Office. To do this, follow the steps for the version of Windows that you are running.

Windows 8

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
  2. In the search box, type Control Panel.
  3. Tap or click Control Panel, tap or click Programs, and then tap or click Programs and Features.
  4. Select the Microsoft Office 2013, and then tap or click Uninstall.

Windows 7

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
  2. Select the Microsoft Office 2013, and then click Uninstall.

Might also read: Error 25004. The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine. This is most likely due to a previous Office 2016 trials being installed. (System error: -1073422314) Setup failed.

Causes of Error 25004
  • Corrupt download or incomplete installation of Microsoft Office software.
  • Corruption in Windows registry from a recent Microsoft Office-related software change (install or uninstall).
  • Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or Microsoft Office-related program files.
  • Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted Microsoft Office-related files.

If you are using Win 10 and have set the Controlled Folder Access options, you might go into setting and look at any folders blocked related to the install. You will have to allow an app through ControllFolder Access. Look at the recently blocked apps.

shall10

shall10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks.  Laptop is running Win8.1.  There are no Office programs showing in Control Panel.  2013 has never been loaded, due to the errors mentioned, and I uninstalled 2007 when 2013 would not load the first time.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Thanks.  Laptop is running Win8.1.  There are no Office programs showing in Control Panel.  2013 has never been loaded, due to the errors mentioned, and I uninstalled 2007 when 2013 would not load the first time.

There were a few suggestions in those links I gave you where there are other problems that can cause the situation you are having. There was one or two that suggested the error code generated could be cause by a Registry problem. You would have to search the Registry and delete any that reference Microsoft Office. If you edit Registry, be sure to backitup. I back my Registry up on an external drive.

You really should look more closely at those links and see what solutions were given.

LuisPerez

LuisPerez

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I did uninstall as much as I could see relating to Office

chavezmolly26

chavezmolly26

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Well, i have also same problem, I also want to up grade from Office 2007 to Office 2013,But I get an error message saying that the upgrade failed due to a previous trial version having been installed.

Can any one suggest me any process, How to Solve?

shall10

shall10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I upgraded the laptop with Windows 10 using a clean install, and Office 2013 loaded OK without even asking for the passkey.  worked quite happily for about a fortnight, then I got messages saying that full activation was needed.  There was a box to enter the passkey, which I did, and everything OK.  Bear in mind that the clean install of Windows 10 was not much above a re-format - all docs needed to be backed up, as they were wiped.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Well, i have also same problem, I also want to up grade from Office 2007 to Office 2013,But I get an error message saying that the upgrade failed due to a previous trial version having been installed.

Can any one suggest me any process, How to Solve?

Did you use the tool provided by Microsoft suggested on post #5?