Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Windows 10 - No bootable devices?

- - - - -

Best Answer Sugartooth , 21 December 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hi Phill, I'm purchasing a new laptop instead of continuing on. Thank you, and to the others, for all their assistance during this time.   I also sent you a PM.Anna Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi,

Please run Speccy to provide some more information about your computer's configuration:

Download Speccy and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on the .zip file and select Extract All.
  • Extract the file to your desktop.
  • Right-click Speccy.exe (32 bit) or Speccy64.exe (64 bit) and select Run as Administrator.
  • When the tool opens, click on File > Publish Snapshot.
  • Click on Yes, then select Copy to Clipboard.
  • In your next reply, please paste (Ctrl + V) the link to the Speccy snapshot.
=====================

Download and run BlueScreenView https://www.nirsoft....nview_setup.exe

Once it's finished scanning, click Edit > Select all
Click File > Save selected items and save the file to your desktop as bsod.txt
Open bsod.txt on your desktop and copy/paste its contents in your reply.

Advertisements

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hello,

http://speccy.pirifo...ikPRhyv8OpMQjDF

I'm not sure that BlueScreenView ran a scan. All I did was install it and this appeared immediately after.

==================================================
Dump File         : 081019-39484-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 8/10/2019 11:12:06 PM
Bug Check String  : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000001a
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00006001
Parameter 2       : ffffffff`c0000185
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00f54000
Parameter 4       : ffffc30c`ed089c50
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1aaab0
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+1aaab0
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081019-39484-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 17134
Dump File Size    : 884,660
Dump File Time    : 8/10/2019 11:24:34 PM
==================================================

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
Hello,

I see there is a Windows update available, so I attached the picture for you.
Windows Update Available.jpg
Do you think the update would help?

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Sorry for the delay.

Yes, try selecting Fix Issues.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hello,

No problem. I'm sure you've got better things to do than help me. :D

After several attempts and hours, I believe I have installed Windows 10, Version 1903. I say that because I saw that it had reached 97% when it was installing, and the next time I looked it said to restart the computer. It took a couple of tries to restart. Then I saw that it was updating and it reached 100%. However, in this picture, it shouldn't say "Failed to install", should it? Unless it was for my other attempts?
20190813_205554_resized.jpg

I'm still having problems trying to start my laptop. This was the Stop Code before I clicked on the Fix issues. The blue screen hasn't returned yet.
20190813_144249_resized.jpg

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
Hello again,

Last night, since I wasn't 100% sure the update installed, I did it again. Looks like it worked this time.

My laptop started right up, but I don't know if the problem has been fixed.

20190814_132801_resized.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

Hope you don`t mind another pair of eyes taking a look  :)

Having taken a look at your earlier Speccy report there are a couple of apparent issues, both hardware (RAM) and software related, we can address the software first.

A question if I may, you have Avira installed, is this the free or the paid for version.

To the Speccy report now;

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance This is a form of overclocking ** that is known to cause instability and overheating even on desktops that have better cooling than notebooks, change this to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan.

** Some high end gaming notebooks that have dedicated video chips and additional cooling may suggest that the High Performance option or their own custom power plan be used.

Memory Usage: 73 % You have high memory usage for a computer that is not under any load and while going through your Speccy report the following can be seen;

Running: Malwarebytes Service

This can cause high memory usage, try removing it to see if the memory usage drops, create a new system restore point first then see Malwarebytes removal info here

Once the above has been done, restart the notebook, run Speccy again and then post back with the new Speccy url + the Avira information for us if you will.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi phillpower2,

The more eyes, the merrier! :yeah:

I have the free Avira.

http://speccy.pirifo...LFKopdBXHZt3jof

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Sugartooth,

Still the same memory issues being reported, just to confirm, you did restart the notebook after getting rid of Malwarebytes Service and re running Speccy.

The hardware problem with the RAM we will come back to but included below is what is being flagged up as something being amiss with the RAM itself.

Basic check for you to do, open Task Manager, click on the Memory tab, make a note of what is shown to be using the most memory, post the info with your next reply for us.

Regarding Avira, you do not actually need a third party AV when you are running Windows 10, see info below courtesy of admin;

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. 

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots: 2
Used memory slots: 2
Free memory slots: 0
Memory
Type: DDR3
Size: 6144 MBytes
Channels #: Single This should be Dual channel when using two sticks of RAM.
DRAM Frequency: 798.4 MHz If running in Dual Channel this would be nearer what it should be which is 1600MHz
CAS# Latency (CL): 11 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 11 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 12 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 28 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 39 clocks
Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 73 %
Total Physical: 4.94 GB
Available Physical: 1.32 GB
Total Virtual: 6.44 GB
Available Virtual: 1.36 GB

Partition 3
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #3
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 16CD7DDD
Size: 12.4 GB
Used Space: 11.7 GB (94%)
Free Space: 659 MB (6%) We need to check this HDD/partitions at some point.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Yes, I made sure to restart my laptop after uninstalling Malwarebytes Service.

Under the Memory Tab, Avira Updater Service Host is using 355.7MB. I guess I should uninstall this also? What would be the best way?

Also, my laptop has gotten worse. It frequently jams up (screen freezes) and the only way that I can unjam it is by removing the battery and then starting it back up. I'm using my desktop computer to send you this message.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

I may not be around tomorrow as family time will be filling up my day, I will however try and get back to you on Sunday some time  :thumbsup:

Avira may be using up resources but it does not explain the RAM not working in Dual Channel mode.

There is 6GB of RAM in your computer, one a 4GB stick and the other a 2GB stick, both are different brands which would normally suggest that one stick of the RAM had been added sometime after the computer had been purchased, if yes, can you let us know when.

Also, my laptop has gotten worse. It frequently jams up (screen freezes) 

A common symptom of overheating or trying to access data on a hard drive that has issues.

Can I ask what the computer was being used for when it froze.

Access Disk Management via Run.

Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Enjoy your family time. :)

Less than 3 years ago, I had ordered my laptop online and it was shipped to me. I did not add any RAM to it. I did not take it apart in any way.

Can I ask what the computer was being used for when it froze.

It froze when I was on this site, trying to reply to you! :lol:  Sometimes it freezes right when I turn it on and it asks for my password.

For Phillpower2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

Thank you for your update and understanding  :thumbsup:

Strange how the computer shipped with two different brands of RAM, they normally come with matching pairs, testing the RAM is time consuming as it will require removing the RAM from the notebook and then testing one stick at a time by running Memtest for a minimum of four or five passes.

The partitions on the HDD look to be ok

Please try uninstalling Avira, uninstall instructions here , once Avira has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

If uninstalling Avira does not help we will move on to testing the RAM.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I uninstalled Avira and ran a full scan of Windows Defender. No threats were found.

I then checked Speccy and saw that the Memory Usage is now 54% (down from 73%). Is that still high? When I tried to exit Windows Defender, my mouse arrow turned into a spiraling circle and it went on for several minutes. Maybe I don't have enough patience to wait, so I removed my battery in order to restart my laptop.

Yes, it is strange that the RAMs don't match. I don't mind testing the RAM. If it is just 1 stick that needs to be replaced, it is better than having to buy an entirely new laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

For the record, we were not looking for threats only making sure that Defender was fully up to date for you  :thumbsup:

That memory usage is still too high, was that after you had restarted the computer and did you happen to check the Task Manager to see what was hogging the RAM.

Can you post the full model name or number of the Dell notebook so that we can research as to how you remove the memory modules.

When I tried to exit Windows Defender, my mouse arrow turned into a spiraling circle and it went on for several minutes. Maybe I don't have enough patience to wait, so I removed my battery in order to restart my laptop.

Please avoid shutting the computer down in such a way unless it is blindingly obvious that the computer is not going to shut down itself, give it thirty minutes or so, the spiralling circle as you describe it could have been Defender or Windows itself installing one or more updates, shutting down the computer prematurely too often will result in Windows becoming corrupted.

Going offline now as I have an early start and it is getting late here in the UK, catch up tomorrow all being well.