Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Windows 10 - No bootable devices?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,040 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

Have you checked the information at the other three tabs, the Event log one may show up something. 

Because you have already backed up it may be worth trying a clean install of Windows and Dell drivers.

Advertisements

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Yes, I had checked the info. on all the tabs and nothing jumped out at me. I ran the Dell ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment again, 2 more times, but it won't open up with the results like it did the first time.

How would you suggest I do a clean install of Windows? Also, how would I go about purchasing a new HDD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,040 posts

I would do the following before purchasing any new hardware;

Give the first option here a try - don`t forget to back up all of your Dell drivers to a small thumbdrive first..

Just putting this here in case the HDD does need to be replaced.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Hi phillpower2,

It took a day and night for me to reach this screen.

20190909_181510.jpg

I chose the first option: Upgrade. That was not a good choice as it said to remove the Windows 10 installation media and restart the computer. After waiting for another day and night, I selected the second option: Custom. I wasn't sure whether to remove the Windows 10 installation media, so I left the USB plugged in.

20190909_181621.jpg

Now, I'm stuck on this screen with the hourglass and the screen is frozen. It's been 3 hours now.

20190909_181713.jpg

If the hourglass changes back into a mouse cursor, which option should I choose for Where do you want to install Windows? And what about the Refresh, Delete, Format, New, Load driver, and Extend? Would I click on any of those? I will give it another 24 hours before I give up on trying to install Windows.

I think a new HDD is probably in order.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Hi again,

I selected every Drive 0 option and the same message.

20190909_212401.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,040 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, not been around for a couple of days.

If possible the Primary partition that has the OS on it needs to be formatted (Pic 3 in reply #49) and then Windows clean installed to the same partition.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I selected the Primary partition and clicked on Format. After waiting an hour and a half for the hourglass to turn into a cursor, I clicked on Primary again and the same pop up appeared regarding GPT. What should we try now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 23,040 posts

Hello Sugartooth,

Please see the Microsoft tutorial here