Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System not found Gateway Laptop Windows 10

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 09 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

Hello Daniel, A failed HDD or Windows being corrupted are two examples of what can cause such a message. Is the HDD identified in the BIOS, a Seagate HDD for example will be listed someth... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Hi there, 

I have an older 2011 Gateway Laptop updated to Windows 10. It does not boot up, shows the error Operating System not found. Have unplugged all external hardrives and same error.

This laptop does not get windows update as it is not connected to internet, used primarily to watch videos on tv. Nothing has been done to this laptop in the last two years or more except playing videos from a usb drive. 

Usually stays on all the time. 

Please help!

Thankx!!

Edited by daniel.karakas, 08 August 2019 - 07:37 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Daniel,

A failed HDD or Windows being corrupted are two examples of what can cause such a message.

Is the HDD identified in the BIOS, a Seagate HDD for example will be listed something like ST1000DM004 and a Western Digital along the lines of WD10JPLX other brands will have similar identification codes, only when such an ID code is present is a HDD actually detected and an entry simply listed as SATA HDD means that the BIOS will and has looked for a HDD in that particular boot sequence but no HDD was detected. 

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Hi pp2,

Yeah I cant see a HD anywhere, under information it lists everything else. Plus I notice in the boot sequence there is no hd on the list.

I am guessing that means my HD is toast. There is also faint clicking noise on start up, which I guess indicates the same.

Please confirm and I will toss laptop, thx!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hi Daniel,

The clicking noise is commonly known as the click of death which = HDD failure.

Rather than tossing the notebook in the trash why not replace the HDD and install a free OS such as Linux.

daniel.karakas

daniel.karakas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

You are right I will attempt to do that. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and any questions along the way let us know  :thumbsup: