Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manage BING add-on in Windows 8.1

Bing Windows 8.1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cat112

cat112

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I am in desperate need of help from someone more computer literate than I am.

I have been trying to get rid of Bing (which I truly hate, I have never seen a more useless add-on) from Internet Explorer and Chrome. I have tried EVERY suggestion I found online as to how to do this. I successfully managed to remove Bing as a Search Provider via "manage add-ons". For all intensive purposes, it should be gone. I can find it nowhere on my computer. I was encouraged when I finally removed it completely as a search provider. However, every time I open a new tab in Internet Explorer or Chrome, it still pops up just like before. Like nothing happened. I have also tried every other method to get rid of it but they all failed. It is driving me bananas!

Does anyone out there have any idea why I cannot get rid of Bing?

Could it be some kind of malware/spyware? If so, what kind of anti-malware should I get to catch and destroy Bing? (It would need to be totally free- as I have no money to spend on it).

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!

Also, apologies in advance if I am using the wrong terminology anywhere in this post. I really do not know anything about computers.

Cat

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Replied to members earlier OP here

We understand that computer issues can be stressful but please do not start more than one thread looking for help with the same issue, this not only wastes helpers time but can also lead to confusion as to who`s and what guidance you are following which in turn can lead to mishaps and potentially irreparable damage to your computer.

This duplicate thread has been closed as per the above explanation.