Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash drive not recognized by computer

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Yesterday my car stereo did not recognize the flash drive I have been using with it for a few months.  So I plugged the flash drive into my pc and my pc did not recognize it either.  I have been using this flash drive in my pc for months also.    The light on the drive goes on for a couple seconds right when I insert it into my pc but does not come on again.The drive is a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64 Gb. The drive is a year or two old.  I have left it in my pants pocket while washing my pants by hand a couple times, but it has worked after the washing incidents until now.   

There are no crucial files on the flash drive, but losing the files would be an inconvenience.  Is there a way that I can recover the files on this flash drive?  Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 14 August 2019 - 04:21 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Had the device been through the wash just previous to it not working in the car and then the PC.

Does the device show up in Windows Disk Manager.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

The last time I accidentally washed the flash drive was months ago, and I have used the drive until now.  The drive does not show up in Disk Manager.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Which rules out there still being water in the device that could be causing a short.

If the device is not showing in Disk Manager it is not being detected and therefore it cannot be accessed for some reason.

What version of Windows are you running, 7, 8.1 or 10.

Is there anyone that you can ask if they will try the device on their computer.

Should you ever need it, Recuva free is a good tool for locating missing or recently deleted data from damaged storage devices.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I use Windows 8.1 64 bit.  Why would the drive possibly work on another computer if it is not detected by either my car stereo receiver or my pc?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Can`t comment on your stereo but have you considered the possibility that it could be your USB ports that have a problem with the thumb drive and not the other way around, checking a flaky thumb drive on another computer is standard practice, entirely up to yourself if you do so or not.