Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Caused by a Device Driver

• Please log in to reply

stix

stix

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

This is my first visit to this forum. I've got a WIN XP, sp2 computer with 1 GB RAM. It keeps shutting down randomly. I send the report to Microsoft and continually get the attached message at this link.

http://oca.microsoft...63c9b83a&SID=10

Basically it says "Error Caused by a Device Driver" I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. I've run Norton System Utilities but to no avail.

Please help,

Jason

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check all the leads are in properly, start the PC in safe mode with networking, check your firewall and antivirus have kicked in then connect to the net or run other programmes for a while to see if it restarts as often.

Edited by Keith, 19 June 2005 - 12:40 PM.

stix

stix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got in my registry and set the auto restart to 0. I was using the computer again when the error occurred and I got the blue screen of death. This was the error:

BAD_POOL_HEADER
0x00000019(0x00000020, 0x0023001A, 0X00230DC2, 0X0DB50039)

The message talks about correctly installing hardware/software, but how do I know where to start?

Thanks,

Jason

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check through device manager, right click each device, properties, driver, driver details and note any which are not signed by Microsoft, then look at the manufacturers sites of devices with unsigned drivers to see if there are any updates

Edited by Keith, 19 June 2005 - 06:51 PM.

stix

stix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith,

I have several drivers under sound, video and game controllers which have no manufacturer or driver information. One is called Audio Codecs. Next to manufacturer, all it says is (standard system devices). There's another one called Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, and Video Codecs. None of these have driver information or manufacturer info. Are these needed; can I delete them, and how?

Thanks,

Jason

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click them then select disable, see how it goes, if it has an adverse effect, right click and select enable, this is safer than removing them

stix

stix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith,

There were some drivers which I could not disable. I'm still getting a the blue screen of death regularly. On the blue page I see STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8054AE34, 0XF63F8594, 0X00000000)

Does this mean anything to you? Is there anywhere I can find out which driver this is?

Thanks,

Jason

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look here for the most relevant one

http://support.micro...00008E&srch=sup