Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CtrlAltDel screen regularly disappears without authorisation/accidenta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Thanks, but Driver update via Device Mgr is not great, when troubleshooting a recent wireless adaptor problem, it said my driver was up to date, even though it was 2 years old.

Internet is stable but my updated Firefox is randomly slow and I don't know how to troubleshoot, because I have many add-ons, but the problems don't show upon Firefox launch. Although, it takes about 6-8 seconds to load the first page after launch. Consecutive pages are much quicker, but randomly and intermittently, the pages take long to load.

Edited by phickspc, 11 October 2019 - 09:18 PM.

Advertisements

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi phickspc,

Please do the following:

---------------------------------------------------
Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and save it to your desktop. Double click on the EmsisoftEmergencyKit file you downloaded to extract its contents and create a shortcut on the desktop. Leave all settings as they are and click the Extract button at the bottom. A folder named EEK will be created in the root of the drive (usually c:\).
  • After extraction please double-click on the new Start Emsisoft Emergency Kit icon on your desktop.
  • The first time you launch it, Emsisoft Emergency Kit will recommend that you allow it to download updates. Please click Yes so that it downloads the latest database updates.
  • When update is complete, click Malware Scan. When asked if you want the scanner to scan for Potentially Unwanted Programs, click Yes. Emsisoft Emergency Kit will start scanning.
  • When the scan is completed click Quarantine selected objects. Note, this option is only available if malicious objects were detected during the scan.
  • When the threats have been quarantined, click the View report button in the lower-right corner, and the scan log will be opened in Notepad.
  • Please save the log in Notepad on your desktop and post the contents in your next reply.
  • When you close Emsisoft Emergency Kit, it will give you an option to sign up for a newsletter. This is optional, and is not necessary for the malware removal process.
ESET Online Scanner

Download ESET Online Scanner and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on esetonlinescanner_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • When the tool opens, click Get Started.
  • Read and accept the license agreement.
  • At the Welcome to ESET Online Scanner window, click Get Started.
  • Select whether you would like to send anonymous data to ESET.
  • Note: if you see the "Welcome Back to ESET Online Scanner" screen, click Computer Scan > Full Scan.
  • Click on the Full Scan option.
  • Select Enable ESET to detect and remove potentially unwanted applications, then click Start scan.
  • ESET will now begin scanning your computer. This may take some time.
  • When the scan is finished and if threats have been detected, select Save scan log. Save it to your desktop as eset.txt. Click on Continue.
  • ESET Online Scanner may ask if you'd like to turn on the Periodic Scan feature. Click on Continue.
  • On the next screen, you can leave feedback about the program if you wish. Check the box for Delete application data on closing. If you left feedback, click Submit and continue. If not, Close without feedback.
  • Open the scan log on your desktop (eset.txt) and copy and paste its contents into your next reply.

In your next reply, please include:
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit log
  • eset.txt

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

PC is clean!

I have problem with mailto error. I recently had set thunderbird portable as default mail client and it worked great, but I now moved the portable installation to a different directory and now mailto doesn't work and I can't reset default mailto client because in windows explorer and right click send to> "mail recipient" is missing and I can't set Thunderbird portable to stay default mail client, everytime I set it within thunderbird's options, it unchecks the box  immediately after I close the dialog box. In default programs, an old thunderbird is showing up as the only option in program defaults. And set file associations has all the boxes in mailto greyed out and checked with some as new thunderbird, and some as old.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi phickspc,

Your logs are clean of malware. As these issues are not malware related and not my forte, I recommend you post in the Windows 7 forum for assistance.

The following will remove the tools we used as well as reset system restore points:

KpRm

Download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes are checked, and select Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please copy and paste its contents in your next reply.
----------------------------------------------------
Some tips to keep your computer safe on the Internet

Make sure to use strong passwords. There are password managers (for example, Bitwarden) that can help you use secure passwords, and keep track of them.

How to create a strong password
Keeping software up-to-date is important as well. Programs such as UCheck, Heimdal Free, or PatchMyPC can help keep software on your computer up-to-date.

To keep your operating system up-to-date, make sure that Windows Update is enabled on your computer.
Here are some articles about how to keep your computer safe on the internet -

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet - by Lawrence Abrams

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices - by quietman7

COMPUTER SECURITY - a short guide to staying safer online - Malware Removal

PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need? - Tech Support Forum

Safe surfing :)

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Just before I do that I think I may have to redo the eset test. Thanks!

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I redid the test and results were the same.

# Run at 15/10/2019 20:32:51
# KpRm (Kernel-panik) version 1.13.2
# Website https://kernel-panik.me/tool/kprm/
# Run by User1 from C:\Users\User1\Desktop
# Computer Name: NIV
# OS: Windows 7 X64 (7601) Service Pack 1
# Number of passes: 1

- Checked options -

~ Delete Tools
    ~ Create Restore Point

- Remove Tools -

## AdwCleaner
     [OK] C:\AdwCleaner deleted (1)

## ESET Online Scanner
     [OK] C:\Users\User1\Desktop\ESET Online Scanner.lnk deleted (1)
     [OK] C:\Users\User1\Desktop\esetonlinescanner_enu.exe deleted (1)
     [OK] C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner deleted (1)

## FRST
     [OK] C:\FRST deleted (1)

- Create Restore Point -

[OK] System Restore Point created

- Display System Restore Point -

~ [I] RP named Windows Update created at 10/15/2019 12:31:17 found
    ~ [I] RP named Microsoft Antimalware Checkpoint created at 10/15/2019 18:56:40 found
    ~ [I] RP named KpRm created at 10/15/2019 19:32:59 found

-- KPRM finished in 26.84s --

I didn't check all boxes because it's been awhile since we did the FRST changes, and the last 2 scanners didn't find or remove malware, so I want to keep restore points.

Thank you for all your help!!!! All the best!!!

Edited by phickspc, 15 October 2019 - 01:38 PM.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Glad we could help. :thumbsup:

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.