Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Verify integrity of JPG files

• Please log in to reply

chrisauk

chrisauk

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi all. Today I looked at an old folder of family pics that I once scanned into my pc. To my horror quite a lot of them would not load and came up as 'not a valid Jpeg file'.

I checked another older backup of the same pics and had the same issue. Seems that somewhere along the line a backup has corrupted and I have continued to regularly back up, oblivious to that.

I'm VERY worried that I may have lost a lot of my precious family pics along the way. So, without going through each one individually (there are thousands)

Is there any program that would go through them and check their integrity? (ie, confirm they are valid files).

Any other ideas?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello Chrisauk,

Sorry to here this

How do I open a corrupt JPG file?
Open With Paint
Click the "File" menu, and then click "Open." Navigate to the location on your hard drive where the corrupted JPEG is stored. Select the image, and then click the "Open" button. If the image opens correctly in Paint, your file is most likely not corrupted.

I found this too

https://watson-net.c...in-a-directory/

Unfortunately its for Linux

I'll keep looking around for a windows version.

chrisauk

chrisauk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Zep, thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately the files are corrupted, so I've lost them. That checker is exactly what I need to test the rest, but needs to be Windows!  

UPDATE: - I've found something - imageverifier. But, its no longer supported and can only manage 50 pics at a time. The program is perfect but there is no route to buy a licence for it. How frustrating! 

https://basepath.com...ageVerifier.php

Edited by chrisauk, 19 September 2019 - 11:37 AM.