Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Antivirus somehow de-activated resulting in infection

infection antivirus de-activated

• Please log in to reply

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Got most of that done. You recommend Malwarebytes anti-ransom, rootkit thing and there's a link to an anti-malware too: are all three meant to be downloaded and run concurrently or does the anti-malware link include the previous two. Just a bit confused about that. Thank you very much Mr. Kinner.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

MBAR is just something to run if you think you might be infected.  The other two can be installed at the same time and should work OK with your anti-virus.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Mr Kinner, hi. I don't know what, but something or many things together from that long clean-up list you gave me, has conspired to render my machine worse than it was before I first made contact. It's just taking forever (40-50 seconds on every mouse click to open a page) and the pages are loading slower than ever by a long chalk. This is most disheartening because prior to actioning those list items, by dint of your peerless support, my computer was running really much, much better. It was lightning fast compared to when I first met you; now it's far worse. In a day. I don't know whether I should just reverse every thing on your list en masse, or wait for your finessed support. Darn, it's really very annoying though of course that doesn't help any. Please advise.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Removed the Mbam Ransomware thing and it's good again. Phew! Had me well worried.