Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Antivirus somehow de-activated resulting in infection

infection antivirus de-activated

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Try WhySoSlow:

The Download is on

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Look under System Monitoring Tools for WhySoSlow 1.0  then click on

Download free home edition

Save the file then right click and Run As Admin.  Follow the prompts. Let it run for a minute (watch the Time Running indication at the bottom) then hit Analyze

Then when a new window appears hit Analyze again.   Once the report appears scroll down and see if it complains about anything.  You can Save the report but it saves as WhySoSlowOutput.htm which the forum won't let you attach.  You can either zip it up or rename it to WhySoSlowOutput.txt then attach it.

Do you still get holes in your website?  Does it make any difference which browser you use?

Advertisements

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you very much. Page load speeds are now fantastic on Brave, slower but still good on Opera. It did find something, attached. Thank you for your support and help.

Oh, a glitch. Upload of that file failed. I thought I'd changed it as you suggested to .txt (in the box it said whysoslow and I wrote .txt on the end: did I do it wrong?) Sorry. How exactly do you change it to a text file?

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Just looked at my saved whysoslowoutput.txt properties and it seems to be names correctly. 

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I deleted some weird text and kept the important bits:)

Your main processor was always running above its advertised clock speed which means great performance. Your CPUs do not appear to be throttled down.

Your CPU temperature ranged between 44 °C and 60 °C    (equal to 111 °F - 140 °F) during the tests.

Your processors are running quite cool.

While the test was idle, your CPU usage ranged from 1.3% to 30.7%.  Your processor's resources do not appear to be used heavily.

The amount of RAM used by your system while the test was running ranged from 78.6% to 82.1%. 

During the test hard pagefaults ranged from 0.0 to 4.7 pagefaults per second. The values reported are considered excellent.

The highest application responsiveness on your system was measured at 20.949 ms. This value is considered critical, your system does not appear responsive. Your kernel responsiveness is also considered poor which is likely to be the cause of the problem.

The highest kernel responsiveness on your system was measured at 20.769 ms. This value is considered critical, your system is very likely to have difficult processing tasks in real-time. Note that this value says does not say anything about your overall system performance.

The highest measured SM BIOS interrupt or other stall was 56 microseconds. This value is considered acceptable. No problems have been detected during the tests.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Microsoft hides the extensions from you so you can't change it unless you can see it.  Control Panel, File Explorer Options, View

Uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types
Uncheck Hide Protected System Files
Check Show Hidden Files,Folders and Drives.
OK

But it looks like Why So Slow is blaming the kernel.  Not much we can do there if the new BIOS and chipset didn't help.  You can rerun dism & SFC just to make sure there is nothing corrupted in Windows.

pen an elevated command prompt:

http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/
http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

(If you open an elevated Command Prompt properly it will say Administrator: Command Prompt in the margin at the top of the window)

Once you have an elevated command prompt:

Type:

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /RestoreHealth

(I use two spaces so you can be sure to see where one space goes.)
Hit Enter.  This will take a while (10-20 minutes) to complete.  Once the prompt returns:

Reboot.  Open an elevated Command Prompt again and type (with an Enter after the line):

sfc  /scannow

This will also take a few minutes.  

When it finishes it will say one of the following:

Windows did not find any integrity violations (a good thing)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them (a good thing)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them (not a good thing)

If you get the last result then type:
findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt

Hit Enter.  Then type::

notepad %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt

Hit Enter.

Copy the text from notepad and paste it into a reply.

If Opera is a bit slow check to see what extensions you have especially your adblocking.  Try turning all of your extensions off and see if that speeds it up.  I use ublock origin which seems to be the quickest with the least impact on the browser.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you. During sfc/ scannow at Verification 16% complete, it stopped and said:

Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I think we need to try
Windows Repair all in one

http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html
Use the second download button under:

4.6.0 - For all versions of Windows (09/30/2019) PAD File

Installer (37.66 MB)

Download it and save it then by right click and run as admin.  (Do not press the big green Download Now button at the top of the page)  Once you get the program installed and running click on the Jump To Repairs button.  Click on the All Repairs preset.

It wants you to reboot into Safe Mode but ignore that and accept the risk.  (If you use a PIN number to log in instead of a password, it won't work in safe mode and you will have to boot from a Windows disk to get out of safe mode.  I've run it many times without safe mode and while it may take a bit longer I've never had any problems)  Start Repairs.  It should reboot when done.  If not reboot it yourself.  Then retry SFC /scannow.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thanks for the persistence and support. Much appreciated. All was going well until it stopped at repair 36 of 47 with the following text:

The current repair has failed to start for over 30 sec.
Trying Again....

Running Repair Under System Account
   Done (10/11/2019 5:46:03 PM)

Done, but failed, at (10/11/2019 5:46:03 PM)
   Total Repair Time: 00:42:10

The current repair has failed to start 4 times.
Something is keeping the repair from running.

Try running the repairs in Windows Safe Mode. (This will keep 3rd party programs from getting in the way of the repairs)
If the repairs still fail then please post in the Tweaking.com forums for support.

Question is, should I try the scan again regardless? Thank you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Go ahead and try sfc /scannow again.  The important fixes are all at the beginning so hopefully it did some good.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Sadly not enough. Again at Verification 16% complete, it stopped and said:

Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Does

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /RestoreHealth

finish?

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

DISM Restore Health first phase finished but sfc scannow froze up at 16% again.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

See if SFCfix will work:

https://www.majorgee...ils/sfcfix.html

Click on one of the Download@MajorGeeks links under DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS.  Save and Run by right click and Run As Admin.  (Ignore any forms or popups the download should start automatically tho it takes a few seconds)

It may ask you to rerun sfc /scannow

Please post the log you get called sfcfix.txt

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hello again, interesting, thank you. It completed but didn't generate any log at all. Nor did it ask to re-run sfc scannow. At the beginning it said some of the steps couldn't be done so maybe that explains why, I don't know. Please advise. Thank you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I just ran it and it left a file on the desktop sfcfix.txt.  Something funny going on.

Copy the next line:

user32.dll;win32u.dll;gdi32.dll;gdi32full.dll;gdi32full.dll;uxtheme.dll;clbcatq.dll;R000000000001.clb;rpcss.dll;wrpintapi.dll

Start up FRST and paste (ctrl + v) the copied line into the FRST search box.  Hit Search Files.  You will only get one file.  Please post.