Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Updates failing - causing startup repair infinite loop

• Please log in to reply

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Hi, the following (Windows 7) update is failing - and when I install, it causes a seemingly infinite startup repair loop, which I broke by entering safe mode and cancelling the update.

September 10, 2019—KB4516065 (Monthly Rollup)

How do I diagnose and fix whatever's causing the issue? Or what do you need from me to help?

Edited by Chucklebun, 26 September 2019 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
This is the only other person who i could find that had the problem too... but i am sure there are others.

MS Update in August failed to install KB4512506 and this week failed to install both KB4516065 and KB4474419. All went well until my Win 7 restarted and then went into Startup repair tool which eventually allowed the machine to start up normally, tho without the important updates. This type of nonsense from Microsoft updates happened a few years ago but suddenly started working well—until August of this year. I have now disabled updates given these problems and the fact that, come January all support will go away anyway. Perusing the MS help forums, etc. about this problem is fruitless—few answers and some much more complicated solutions for something so important that should work easily for those of us of limited computer savvy. Irritating, to say the least.

https://krebsonsecur...r-2019-edition/

I'll see what else I can come up with as I am unable to offer any ideas presently.

Thanks
zep

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

The August Rollup failed for me in the same way, so I hid it, and now it's gone, I'm assuming that the newer roll up superseded it. I'm still searching for answers, thanks for looking.

Jenna91

Jenna91

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I am really late to this thread but I think I have an answer for this. Since about a year ago I run into an update loop when installing a new Windows 7 operating system. In other words, the issue is that I tell windows to update;however, updates never resolve.

The way I install a new Windows 7 operating system is I update as far as the updates will take me up until it is obvious I am in an update loop. At that point, I install 2 things:

1 ) update KB4490628.

2 ) then I search for "Windows 7 virus definition updates" in my web browser. This takes me here:

https://www.microsof...defenderupdates

This is a page that allows you to manually update virus definitions instead of making the windows update utility search for them. Make sure you click the correct operating system. For me, that would be Windows 7 64 bit.

After those two steps have been taken, my Windows 7 fully updates and runs great in 2020.

As a side note, if you use your own 3rd party antivirus, you will want to speed read through updates and will likely prefer to avoid installing microsoft security essentials.

I hope this helps someone. We are all in this together. Good luck.

Edited by Jenna91, 07 August 2020 - 12:07 PM.