Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 2000 start problem

• Please log in to reply

rain.9

rain.9

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi!
I have trouble getting Windows 2000 started. each time just before the desktop is supposed to appear the system goes back to show the first screen (Intel Desktop Board). It takes 6 or 7 attempts for the desktop to appear.

After facing this problem once I reinstalled Windows but the problem persists.

My system has Windows Service Pack 4, Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm. It is a dual boot and has Mandrake 10.1

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be and help me out? :tazz: Thanks in advance

Advertisements

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
When you say dual boot do you mean that both operating systems are on a single hard drive, or are they on separate hard drives?

Which boot manager do you use?

Also which came first Linux or MS? i.e. Which OS did you install first?

Sorry for so many questions!

Edited by h1ppy, 20 June 2005 - 05:22 AM.

rain.9

rain.9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Both the operating systems are on the same drive. I use Lilo bootloader to choose the operating system, is that what you mean by boot manager? sorry to sound so ignorant.

Windows was installed first and then Linux.

Must add that there is another Win 2000 lying in my D drive. i installed it there by mistake. So I get a screen which asks me to choose among the two Win 2000, yesterday I found that if I waited without entering the choice I manage to reach the desktop. Could the second installation be the problem?

Must say I am glad to be heard, just stumbled to this website as I was looking for answers.

alesh

alesh

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Your computer is rebooting itself, that's why the intel desktop board message is being shown.
Try booting into safe mode, scan your machine, check for possible problems, uninstall Zone Alarm, uninstall NAV and see if that helps.
Also scan your machine for possible viruses, malware, spyware, etc.

Report back!

A.

h1ppy

h1ppy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sometimes installing Linux after Windows can cause minor partition problems. It is best to start off with two partitions for dual boot purposes, and then install each operating system to their respective partitions. With Linux I think you need root, system and user partitions as well, depending on your distribution? But disregard that for now.

When you finally manage to boot in to your W2K partition right click on My Computer-Advanced-Start Up and Recovery-Settings:

There you will see a Windows boot manager. Make sure only your active W2K directory is the one set here. You could also edit the time to display the boot list and its varying options.

I'll follow up with some information on LILO shortly for you.

rain.9

rain.9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
just read my previous posting that said "both the operating systems (Linux and Windows) are on the same hard drive" they are actually not, they are actually in separate partitions. sorry!
will try out what you people have suggested. and get back to you.

thanks

rain.9

rain.9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi!

the rebooting problem at windows start has disappeared. The Startup and Recovery option has the correct Windows directory. I have also run virus scans and adaware and spybot. everything worked well for a day. then as i was defragmenting E drive the computer reboots!!

regards

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
If you have your Windows XP disk, boot from it and repair when asked to install or repair.

Also if you can use system restore, try that.

rain.9

rain.9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
could you tell me how to use system restore?

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
System restore is not an option. But this link will help:
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q322755

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, if the rebooting has stopped, what's the problem?

rain.9

rain.9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The rebooting problem seems to disappear if the 'dial-up and network connections' is disabled. Otherwise it goes back into rebooting loop. Can you tell me what the problem could be?
thanks for the link paulcomputerman.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
What type of interney do you use? Dialup? Broadband? DSL?

rain.9

rain.9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a broadband connection.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.[/code]

Only the ones at the time of the crash!