Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to disable avast antivirus

• Please log in to reply

stivered

stivered

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is an excerpt from an email conversation I had with a friend I was helping who had an Avast Free Antivirus problem, and for whatever reasons I thought I'd share it here just in case anyone else has been having problems with Avast Free Antivirus' Cloud Services.

Avast Free Antivirus v7 and newer: Link removed

Question:

Avast's Cloud Services provides better real-time protection, so why would I ever want to disable it?

Answer:

You're absolutely correct it does provide far better real-time protection than just the installed signature files alone and can catch malware that the installed signature files can't detect yet however I have personally witnessed on several occassions a fatal flaw or bug in Avast's Cloud Services as explained below.

If you're like me and have adopted the layered security approach and scan with secondary anti-virus and anti-malware products that should only be scanning the system without a real-time anti-virus running, and do all video encoding while disconnected from the Internet you'll quickly find out in a very harsh way that Avast Free Antivirus can make your computer almost unusable when you disconnect from the Internet.

It can cause your computer to become hopelessly slow and non-responsive to the point where you'll have to either restart, or force a bad shutdown and bad shutdowns can possibly cause filesystem damage by corrupting files or worse Windows itself.

Avast Free Antivirus causes all this havoc because its Cloud Services is in constant communication with the Avast Cloud Server (if that's what it's called), and when that connection is severed it causes serious problems, hence the reason to disable it either temporarily while you need to disconnect from the Internet, or more drastic by disabling it permanently.

Note that disabling Cloud Services permanently will lower Avast's detection/protection rate as it will have to rely solely upon the signature files installed locally on your computer.

Here's How To Disable Cloud Services:

1. Open Avast Free Antivirus.

2. Click Summary at the upper-left.

3. In Summary click Cloud Services.

4. In Cloud Services click the Settings button at the lower-right.
5. In Cloud Services Settings untick/disable these features:
  • Enable reputation services.
  • Enable streaming updates.
6. All done! Now when you disconnect from the Internet Avast Free Antivirus won't cause havoc on your computer anymore.

Note:

If you only wanted to disable it temporarily you'll have to remember to re-enable it, but only after you've already re-connected to the Internet.

Edit by iMacg3: External link removed.

Topic moved from Can't run any Antivirus Programs to Applications forum.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello stivered,

Thank you for the information you have posted and indeed it just may help someone.

Sincerely;
zep