Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is this and how to see it

• Please log in to reply

aerohound73

aerohound73

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I use windows 10. There are some .dat files that i open using notepad.These are examples of what I see:  ºŒQ]€Ô    ˆÿÿÿnk, ‚íf]€Ô   h            ÿÿÿÿ    ÿÿÿÿ˜   ÿÿÿÿ                    &   {e6aa7176-2836-365e-9383-720cfc71d81a}  Xþÿÿsk  ˜   ˜      Œ  €T  p     h    T                                                                        ì     ?       

or this .db file:  õƒïƒé‚~ã‚zÝ‚vׂsÑ‚pË‚mÅ‚h¿‚c¹‚_³‚\­‚W§‚T¡‚Q›‚M•‚J‚G‰‚Dƒ‚@}‚=w‚:q‚7k‚4e‚2_‚.Y‚*S‚'M‚$U „V{ „  †%  †    ©†  %†   Ä†   1†   …,   ¦‡f   œ‡d   …‡a   Ù‡^   ×‡[   Ç‡V   Ó‡P   Ò‡N   Ð‡L  @‡J   Í‡H   Ê‡E   Ö‡C   Æ‡A   )‡?   »‡=   ¹‡:   +‡8   µ‡4   ´‡2   Û‡0   ™‡.   ”‡,  ‡*   ‰‡'  '‡$  J‡!   ¸‡  ‡   Y‡ 

What is this and how do I see what the real data is?(Any apps or software that will show me what it is?

Thanks for your advice!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello aerohound73,

"Without the original program that created the file you’ll be probably out of luck. There is no single .dat file definition - it’s been used by about every program that needed storing some data for it’s internal use and everyone is different and most of them some kind of binary blob."

They look like partial files too small....If they were text notepad may have opened them or at least convert some of it to understandably text.

I don't know of any one program that can open dat files.....

aerohound73

aerohound73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

thanks for your reply!