Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Verizon FIOS modem/router

Modems Routers

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

First, I hope I'm in the correct forum.   I pretty much am a complete ignoramus when it comes to modems and routers.   I have Verizon FIOS and I'm tired of paying $12/mo for the Verizon Modem/router (if that is what it is).

Do I need a modem and a router?  Do combination modem/routers for Verizon Fios exist.  My package "speed" is 100Mbps.  In addition to typical cable TV, we stream Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO GO, YouTube, etc.

We play no internet games.  We have no laptop, both the TIVO Bolt DVR and our two desktop computers are hardwired.

What do you suggest I buy?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

https://www.allconne...atible-routers/

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

RKinner,

Thank you for the quick reply.

As I said, I know nothing about routers/modems.  The link you provided says FIOS does not use a standard modem, rather "...it uses an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which is essentially the fiber-optic version of a modem."  What and where is this "ONT?"   I am correct that this the black box in my basement to which the underground FIOS cable is connected? or perhaps it is the small black device on my desk.  If I'm correct, then the small black device on my desk is the router (for which I'm paying the $12/mo).

The router has 5 cables coming into it:

a coaxial cable

an ethernet cable

a power cable, and

two other cables, one of which appears to go to the LinkSys VOIP telephone box

Will a non-Verizon router I buy meet my requirements?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

ONT would be the box in the basement.  Router is the box on the desk.  The coax could be a problem as most routers don't have a coax connection.  Where does the coax cable go?  Back to the ONT?  To your TV?

If to the TV (or TiVo) then this paragraph from the site I sent you may apply:

What if I have Verizon Fios TV?

Here’s where using your own router with Verizon Fios can be an issue. Most routers will not be compatible with your Verizon Fios TV service. As a result, your channel guide, On Demand and other Verizon Fios TV functions may not work properly. Additionally, TVs connected via Fios TV One Minis may not work at all.

To ensure you have a seamless internet and TV experience, Verizon recommends you use either the Fios Advanced Wi-Fi Router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev I) or the Fios Quantum Gateway Router (Verizon G1100). Both routers are available for purchase or rental through Verizon