Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a router be affected by metal in a floating shelf?

• Please log in to reply

gasleak

gasleak

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Planning on installing a floating shelf for my router.
Floating shelves have small metal tubes that go into the shelf itself which are it's bracket; usually at least halfway in and they tend to be around 2-3cm in diameter.
There is also usually a metal backplate.
This is an example:
https://mastershelf....helf-bracket-6/

Will my wi-fi signal suffer due to the floating shelf metal bracket? 

Edited by gasleak, 21 October 2019 - 08:16 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello gasleak,

I suppose it's possible. You may need to experiment with placement, location to see if there is any difference in signal strength.

gasleak

gasleak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello gasleak,

I suppose it's possible. You may need to experiment with placement, location to see if there is any difference in signal strength.

Router cannot be placed anywhere else

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Wireless Signal Interference

There are two basic types of wireless signal interference that could impair your router's performance. The first type comes from nearby devices that are operating in the same bandwidth as the router, such as cordless phones, baby monitors and other people's Wi-Fi networks. The second kind of interference is caused by physical barriers. Wireless signals are degraded as they attempt to pass through dense materials such as concrete, bulletproof glass and metal; signals fare better when passing through wood, regular glass and even brick.

Metal and Wireless Signals

Metal objects that come between your router and computer can obstruct signals. A wireless signal has no problem passing through a wooden desk but a metal desk can pose a real problem. Other common offenders include filing cabinets, metal shelving, pipes and walls. Areas of a home or office affected by metal obstructions are called “dead zones.” Minimizing these dead zones will help you use your router to its full potential.

See here.

https://smallbusines...ters-73559.html