Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is tmtnne.exe

• Please log in to reply

daytripper

daytripper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm pretty new to this so please bear with me. I'm currently systematically going through the n-step program prescribed. I've run spybot, MS antispyware, ad-aware many times and still have problems so I'm being very systematic this time. Enough preamble - I've got a slightly different but hopefully relate question.

In viewing processes in my taskmanager, I found a process named tmtnne.exe that appears very mysterious. The file is in ProgramFiles\WINNT\system32 and has a mod date that is a couple of years old but no MS copyright info - strange. Furthermore, I can find no information on this process in a general web search or the few tech sites I know of.

I also found this program listed in my registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I can kill the program in my taskmanager but it immediately respawns. If I delete the above registry entry, it returns on next boot.

My questions:
1) what is this file/process and why is there so little information available about it?
2) if it is evil, how do I get rid of it?

Advertisements