Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Non-responsive google chrome; bing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I have a 5 yr. old dell Inspiron 5555 laptop with win 10 home O.S. The machine has been working fine  until now. I had been browsing today but left the computer on for 2 hours. Upon returning, everything works fine as usual except when I click in the search line a cursor appears but nothing will type in the line. The same situation occurs if I try to type in the line at the top of page.

Bing is also installed but just about never used. The very thing as above happens when I try to search with bing.  I have searched on line with another computer but no solution yet.

Thank You for help with this.

Advertisements

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi JohnGo,

Does the issue occur only in Google Chrome?

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

No, the problem seems to be computer wide, anywhere typing is required.  There is another web browser installed which renders the same result.

Also, I opened a Word document, clicked a cursor into an existing sentence and it would not type. Then I opened Word and tried to type a new document and nothing.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

In addition, I have just discovered that in an existing Word document, if I click a cursor on the left margin beside any given sentence and press Enter, it will not scroll down.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi JohnGo,

Do you have any System Restore points available before the issue started?

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I'm not sure about previous restore points since the laptop will not type in the "search box" .  I don't know a way to navigate to System Restore without typing.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
If you press the Windows Key + R, are you able to type rstrui in the run box? If so, you can access System Restore that way.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

When I press Win key+R nothing happens. No run box opens.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Do you have an external keyboard/mouse you can connect to the laptop via USB? If so, you can test if the laptop's keyboard/mouse are working properly.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I have connected a usb mouse and a usb keyboard.  The laptop is typing now and the usb mouse works as well as the original wireless mouse. 

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I should have clarified by saying the laptop is typing by using the usb keyboard.

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Sounds like the laptop has a defective keyboard. See this article for some information about possible causes for the issue.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ok. I have looked at these options and will look for a fix for my laptop. Thank You for your assistance.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I determined the problem was that the keyboard had lost connection with the motherboard. I unplugged/re-plugged the ribbon cable from/to the m. board....Instant success..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Thanks for letting us know the result.