Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start button, other functions not working (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Cerberus262 , 12 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

Reason I asked is because in place upgrades very rarely work out when going from Windows 7 to 10 and especially on older brand name computers that have no Windows 10 drivers for them, Dell tend to... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Computer is Dell Optiplex 980. If you need more specs let me know.

Just updated from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Now Start button will not work. Click the button, get busy circle for a second, then nothing. I can right click and get a basic menu, but most functions there, such as Apps and Features does nothing. Also, when I hover over the Start button, it shows green, not the normal blue.

Also, the search bar is not functional. Also clicking on the action center button will not do anything. 

I have tried various fixes I found online, but nothing has worked. 

I do have access to Task Manager through Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Any ideas?

TIA

Edited by Cerberus262, 06 November 2019 - 02:54 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Was Windows 10 clean installed on the computer or was an in place upgrade done.

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Was Windows 10 clean installed on the computer or was an in place upgrade done.

In place upgrade.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Reason I asked is because in place upgrades very rarely work out when going from Windows 7 to 10 and especially on older brand name computers that have no Windows 10 drivers for them, Dell tend to be the worst as well as they are so picky about what drivers they will recognise.

Best course of action would be to back up any data that you need and then clean install Windows 10, what I would do first though is save the Windows 7 drivers for the computer to a small thumb drive and then try and get Windows to start downloading and installing updates as once it has started doing this your MB details will be stored on the Microsoft database and be recognised after you have done the clean install.

Something that you may find helpful if it will work while you are having the present problem/s ViStart I've used this from the days of Windows 8 Pro and still use it with 10 Pro

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
✓  Best Answer

Reason I asked is because in place upgrades very rarely work out when going from Windows 7 to 10 and especially on older brand name computers that have no Windows 10 drivers for them, Dell tend to be the worst as well as they are so picky about what drivers they will recognise.

Best course of action would be to back up any data that you need and then clean install Windows 10, what I would do first though is save the Windows 7 drivers for the computer to a small thumb drive and then try and get Windows to start downloading and installing updates as once it has started doing this your MB details will be stored on the Microsoft database and be recognised after you have done the clean install.

Something that you may find helpful if it will work while you are having the present problem/s ViStart I've used this from the days of Windows 8 Pro and still use it with 10 Pro

I ended up doing a refresh of Win10 and it worked like a charm. Fortunately this particular system didn't have much more than Office and Chrome, so reinstalling the apps was fairly easy. No issues with drivers once the install was re-done. Updated Windows up to but not including 1903 with no issues. No data loss - even Chrome favorites/saved passwords survived.

Thanks for the encouragement to do that. I was putting it off hoping for a better solution. I was wrong ;-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well with the computer and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)