Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to replace hard drive

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Yesterday after turning on my desktop pc the screen was broken up into small rectangles, and I could not log on.  I restarted the computer and the message "Windows is resetting. Don't turn off your computer" message came up, and it took a long while for the desktop screen to appear.  When it did it was clear, and the computer has run fine since.  I ran MBAM, and it found nothing wrong.  Also, the hard drive seems to be getting noisier as it ages.  These are symptoms of a bad hard drive, correct?  Even if the hard drive is still good I want to replace it because it is several years old and has so many hours of use on it.  

I only use this computer for typing documents and surfing the internet, so it's fine for my needs.   These are the specs for my computer:

Lenovo H500S

Celeron J1800

4Gb RAM DDR3

W8.1 64 bit

500Gb HD 7200 rpm

Are SSD drives compatible with my computer?  I want a 1 TB drive.  The Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD is $110 on Amazon.  Is this a good choice?  Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,914 posts
  • MVP

The EVO would be a better choice.  See:

https://linustechtip...ng-860-qvo-2tb/

Might want to wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday and see if you can find a sale.

These are 2.5" drives and your desktop uses 3.5 so you will probably want an adapter so you can mount it.  Lots of them available on Amazon for under $10 but read the 1 star reviews before buying.  Also the connectors are the same so all you need is a physical mount - no circuit boards like on the hot swappable units.  If money is a problem you can just tie wrap or tape the SSD into place.

Samsung has a program on their website to move your operating system and data from the old drive to the new. 

https://www.samsung....60-qvo-sata-iii

It only works when connected directly.  If you try to use it with a USB to SATA adapter it won't recognize the drive and refuses to work. 

We can look at the drive's SMART info to see if it is failing:

Get Speedfan:

http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/

Download, save and Install it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.).

(It's main purpose is to check temps (Desktops should be around 45C when idle)  but it also reads the SMART info)
click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab.  Click on the down arrow to the right of the Hard Disk box.  Select your hard drive.  Click on Perform an In-depth Online Analysis of this hard disk.  Your browser will open.

At the bottom of the new page will be a line:  

The link to get back and see a new report about this hard disk in the future is this.

Right click on the underlined "this" and select Copy Link Address.  Move to a Reply and Paste (Ctrl + v).