Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to replace hard drive

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

When I click on the speedtest.com link I get the message:"uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading..."

At the bottom of the page it says:"Disable strict blocking for forwrdnow.com either temporarily  or permanently.  Should I choose to disable it temporarily?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 22,031 posts
  • MVP

Looks like speedtest.com been taken over by adware that is trying to hijack your browser search engine.  Sorry.  It used to work.

I went back to speedtest.net and I got the expected page without any nonsense from MS.

See if

http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

works for you.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
These are my test results from speedtest.att.com/speedtest: Your Test Results (Tested on 11/30/2019, 10:19:48 PM)

• Download Speed btn-help-icon.gif 15.6 Mbps (1950 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed btn-help-icon.gif 5.26 Mbps (657.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency btn-help-icon.gif 23 ms

At the time I did this test my my internet connection was working well above average.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 22,031 posts
  • MVP

Do you know what speed the landlord is paying for?

We can improve your performance slightly by telling Windows to shut up (stop talking so much)

Download OOSU10.exe:

https://www.oo-softw...com/en/shutup10

Download and Save it (You will get a popup while it's downloading.  You can X out of it)
then Right click and Run As Admin.
Allow it to make a System Restore Point.
Click on Actions then on Apply Recommended Settings.

Close the program and reboot.

After each major Windows update it's wise to rerun the program and Revert the changes.

If you are a Facebook user you can get the  FB Purity extension for your browser:
http://www.fbpurity.com/
This will stop all of the suggested pages and ads so that Facebook loads much quicker.  The difference it makes on a slow connection is hard to believe.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Did Speedtest show a slow connection?  I'll ask what speed my landlord is paying for.

I have Windows 8.1 64 Bit.  Should I still run OOSU10?

I added FB Purity to my Firefox Add-on Extensions.  I use Kaspersky antivirus.  In my Firefox Extensions it shows that Kasperky Protection is disabled.  Should it be disabled?  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 22,031 posts
  • MVP

Speedtest results depend on what you are paying for.  If you are getting most of what you pay for then it's OK if not then it needs work.

You can try OOSU10.  Just be sure to make a system restore point first when it asks you to.  Don't know if it will work with Win 8 but they are about the same so it might.

I would think you would want Kaspersky enabled.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

When I try to run OOSU10 as Administrator or not I get this popup:"This App only runs on Windows 10 because it only makes sense there".

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

When I try to run OOSU10 as Administrator or not I get this popup:"This App only runs on Windows 10 because it only makes sense there".

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 22,031 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Was worth a shot.

See if this one works for you:

https://windowsrepor...acy-donotspy78/

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I installed DoNotSpy.  Should I disable every blue item on the list?

Advertisements