Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing RAM. SOLVED

- - - - -

Best Answer 2kays , 02 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

My thanks to the members for their help in a successful conclusion to my RAM queryKen Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

2kays

2kays

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Since the 1903 update my computer has become slower so I intend increasing my RAM from 8GB to 16GB.
To do this it seems I must buy two 8GB modules and throw the existing 8GB module away.
My PC Motherboard has 2 channels, Channel A and Channel B.
Each channel has 2 slots, Channel A, DIMM A1 and DIMM A2 and Channel B, DIMM B1 and DIMM B2.
I have an 8GB module in Channel B, DIMM B1.

What I would like to know is; do I put both modules in Channel A, or one in Channel A and one in Channel B?
Ken

PC Specifications:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20Ghz
Installed RAM; *GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday 2kays.

To best help you, we need some additional information.

Please download SPECCY free from this page, save to your Desktop. > https://www.ccleaner...speccy/download

Right click on the application . left click on Run as Admin.

When the install screen opens, >click customize, > Unick, Inform me of updates, > click Install. When installed, > Untick, View release notes, > then click Run Speccy.   Wait for the results window to open

At the top of the results window, > click, File, > from the drop down list, click Publish Snapshot.

note.   The snapshot is uploaded to the Speccy server, the OS licience key, private and security information is deleted, not uploaded.

In the window that opens, > click Yes.

In the window that opens, > click Copy too Clipboard.

In your reply, > Right click and select Paiste.  example is below, 

My system, http://speccy.pirifo...wIApBgdx7nr23du

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hello 2kays.  You also have a topic open on the TSG forums, RAM, to which I've replied there.

You've received good advice both venues, and a Speccy snapshot will give an assistant a snapshot of memory usage.

This being said, as a general rule it makes sense to pursue these questions on one forum at a time, as you'll often get conflicting advice and unless someone happens to read both forums they have no way of knowing what you may or may not have done based on advice someone else has given you.

You can always move along to another forum if you do not find the answers you seek at the first one and a sequential approach is generally easier for both you and those offering assistance.  If you have already taken certain steps based on a topic elsewhere, it's also helpful to make reference to that topic and what steps.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks britechguy, good advice and well spotted.

2kays.

I have read your TSG forum post and see you have not replied, nor as yet to this one.   Please supply the requested information and we can them help you. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

2kays

We are always happy to help when we can but we cannot safely do so if you are already receiving assistance on any other forum, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thank you Technician,

I followed your instructions and had to go a different way to finally  get what was required. 

I got there in the end and below is what I think you want.

My system http://speccy.pirifo...mFkL5cSxOI267H6

Ken

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Gday 2kays.

To best help you, we need some additional information.

Please download SPECCY free from this page, save to your Desktop. > https://www.ccleaner...speccy/download

Right click on the application . left click on Run as Admin.

When the install screen opens, >click customize, > Unick, Inform me of updates, > click Install. When installed, > Untick, View release notes, > then click Run Speccy.   Wait for the results window to open

At the top of the results window, > click, File, > from the drop down list, click Publish Snapshot.

note.   The snapshot is uploaded to the Speccy server, the OS licience key, private and security information is deleted, not uploaded.

In the window that opens, > click Yes.

In the window that opens, > click Copy too Clipboard.

In your reply, > Right click and select Paiste.  example is below, 

My system, http://speccy.pirifo...wIApBgdx7nr23du

Hello Technician,

I couldn't find a Reply on you page so am trying the Quote Reply option.

I followed you instructions and the resultant link is below.

My system: http://speccy.pirifo...CqlgZmuhhenEoeU

Ken

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for the delay, no time yesterday.

Note.   When adding the correct specified RAM to an existing system, no manufacturer guarantees it is 100% compatible; it most cases it will work, but could produce errors as it may come from a different production line, even in another country.

When you buy a kit, 2 or more sticks together, they come from the same production line and are tested and guaranteed to work.   I would always buy a kit, decision up to you. 

You installed Ram is type: DDR3

Size: 8192 MBytes
Manufacturer: Kingston
Max Bandwidth: PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
part Number: 99U5403-123.A00LF

When searching Google, no exact matching results.   As suggested by britechguy, follow the steps on https://www.crucial....n/systemscanner

Let us know the results. 

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thank you Technician,
The system scanner suggested module was, Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM CT102464BD160B costing US$41 each.
This converts to NZ$64. Two would therefore cost US$128.
To this would be added the cost of freight by air from America, which wouldn't be cheap.
To buy the same modules here would cost me NZ$161 each. Two would therefore cost NZ$322 plus $5 for freight. Delivery within 2 days.

I was going to buy 2 of the Kingston 8GB RAM DDR3-1600MHz modules which would cost NZ$138 plus $5 freight.
I've been given to understand that I might as well buy two cheaper modules instead of two expensive ones, the result would still be a faster computer.
I intended installing a module in slot 1 of channel A and the module in slot 1 of channel B but before doing so check with the forum.
Ken

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your prices are almost the same as here, Australia.   We certainly get stiffed with computer parts.

The Crucial detected your Ram as low profile so are given a limited choice.   It may be low profile as clearance under the CPU fan is limited.

I have looked at prices on 11 countries; US is the cheapest. 

The Kingston Ram, OK to use.   You are correct for the Channel selection.

Please look at the below 2 pages for slightly cheaper prices.    Both will work and   Free shipping

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16820231637

https://www.newegg.c...yvg6CzE8IK4j0vg

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thank you iammykyl for the 2 websites you sent me.
Corsairs price for two 8GB modules is NZ$117.30 to which must be added NZ$60.08 shipping and Visa charges.
G.Skill price for two 8GB modules is NZ$111.55 to which must be added NZ$44.000 shipping and Visa charges.  
These prices include 15% GST we have to pay here in New Zealand.

The American prices may seem cheaper but the US dollar has to be converted.
Then there's the conversion charges, Visa charges, shipping charges and in my case the GST charge to be add.

I did another search for the Crucial module recommended and found a price of NZ$79.35 inc GST.
This is better than the NZ$161 each I found on my first search.
I will be buying the Kingston modules and will be putting them in the two slots recommended.
Now I must notify the  members of a satisfactory solution and uninstall Speccy and clean up the rubbish it will leave in the registry.
Ken

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
✓  Best Answer

My thanks to the members for their help in a successful conclusion to my RAM query

Ken

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry I did not see that Free Shipping was not available for international orders.

Thank you for concluding your topic.

If I might suggest, after installing the new ram and checking performance, we may still be able to clean/speed up your system, if you care to start a new topic. 

Good luck. 

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thank you iammykyl,

Ken

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Since the 1903 update my computer has become slower so I intend increasing my RAM from 8GB to 16GB.
To do this it seems I must buy two 8GB modules and throw the existing 8GB module away.
My PC Motherboard has 2 channels, Channel A and Channel B.
Each channel has 2 slots, Channel A, DIMM A1 and DIMM A2 and Channel B, DIMM B1 and DIMM B2.
I have an 8GB module in Channel B, DIMM B1.

What I would like to know is; do I put both modules in Channel A, or one in Channel A and one in Channel B?
Ken

PC Specifications:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20Ghz
Installed RAM; *GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Just letting you know that 1909 has come out and been out for a few weeks, and that might help because its improved on performance for this round of windows.