Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me! Unknown high CPU usage...

• Please log in to reply

daa709

daa709

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

I've been using my current setup for about a month, and I just turned on the computer, and the SYSTEM process is taking up a huge amount of my CPU and its really slowing things down, as well as heating things up. The laptop doesnt like it!!

I'm running on XP Pro SP2, with a Dell Latitude C640 1.7GHz 1GB RAM.

Is there anyone that can help me? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
David

Advertisements

daa709

daa709

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah, ignore me. I got it working now. I now know with the Dell c640, there is a common problem of the computer overheating, and so the system using up the cpu.

Sorry for any problems. Thanks

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Try closing down all the programs down that you don't need so as little as possible is running, then check to see if it is still running so high. If so, a good start would be to scan you your system for malware. Also, give your system some good maintainance treatment, cleaning our your temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, Prefetch Folder and Cookies. Defragmenting will also increase efficiency.

Big Smiles

HS