Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need some advice.

• Please log in to reply

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I am currently rocking a LGA775 socket motherboard with a Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU (yes I know, it sucks :P) and looking for an upgrade.

When asking around for opinions I was met with 2 choices, either go for a LGA 1155 socket or some other AMD socket that supports A Ryzen CPU.I guess you can tell I dont have alot of understanding in PC's :)

What would be the best choice for me to go for if I want the power approx. of a Intel i5 2500K (I am on a tight budget)  ???I was told AMD boards and CPU's are cheaper but need more cooling???

So what I am asking is which is better and cheaper in this situation.

Sorry if my English skills are not up to par.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,254 posts

Gday FrickinDave.

Why do you want to upgrade to a similar performing CPU?

What do you want to achieve?

What will you use the computer for?   General computing? gaming? work?