Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some advice.

• Please log in to reply

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

I am currently rocking a LGA775 socket motherboard with a Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU (yes I know, it sucks :P) and looking for an upgrade.

When asking around for opinions I was met with 2 choices, either go for a LGA 1155 socket or some other AMD socket that supports A Ryzen CPU.I guess you can tell I dont have alot of understanding in PC's :)

What would be the best choice for me to go for if I want the power approx. of a Intel i5 2500K (I am on a tight budget)  ???I was told AMD boards and CPU's are cheaper but need more cooling???

So what I am asking is which is better and cheaper in this situation.

Sorry if my English skills are not up to par.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday FrickinDave.

Why do you want to upgrade to a similar performing CPU?

What do you want to achieve?

What will you use the computer for?   General computing? gaming? work?

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yea, its only similiar performing so it would fit my budget. I don't need a powerhouse or anything.

I am going to be using it mainly for gaming purposes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So sorry for the late reply, just did not see your last post.

As you are on a tight budget, please tell us the make and model of the following, as you may be able to reuse them. 

Your case,

Your PSU,

and GPU. . 

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am going to be reusing the case, do not know the make and model of it simply because I bought it second-hand. Please specify if you wanted something specific from it. As far as I am informed, it can fit large form factor motherboards.

My PSU, I will also will be reusing; Some time ago I was asking for help on a different matter on this same forum page and I was informed that it was a 'good' PSU although it is not mainstream. As I am not present at home right now, I cannot tell you the exact brand.
What I can tell you, on the other hand, is the total power output which is 650W.

As for the GPU, the GTX 750 Ti is fairly new and I will be using this same GPU further.

Maybe I wasnt clear enough. I am simply looking to jump sockets from LGA 775 to a somewhat more recent LGA 1155/(AMD equivalent) . I am just asking which would be the best motherboard/CPU combo. And I couldnt decide upon going the Intel route or an AMD socket route(and which processor) because as of now my GPU is getting heavily bottlenecked by the CPU (as I've been told)

No worries, I have all the time in the world. Take your time.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.

Been looking though your previous topics,

If this is your PSU, good to use, > https://www.enermax....=1&lv1=54&no=92

As is the GTX 750ti.

In previous post you said, , ''bought a used Dell Optiplex 755 MiniTower''

In another post you said "I have a Dell Optiplex 745''

In both instances it probable is not possible to re use the case, possible issues.

The I/O shield is an odd size and possible fixed in place, 

The MB mounting holes may not line up as Dell boards are usually proprietor, made by people like Foxcom.

The front ports have Dells own connections and probable not connect to a non Dell MB.

It can be done with a lot of messing about, both electrical and mechanical, but I advise against it

I have include a case, chosen because it comes with 3 fans included, has filters.  

>  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rKH2x6

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Alright so you think Ryzen 5 2600X would be the best choice for me, thanks for the help, appreciate it! :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Alright so you think Ryzen 5 2600X would be the best choice for me, thanks for the help, appreciate it! :)

Yes, being mindful of budget,It has the highest speed at the lowest price and second generation of high-end desktop Ryzen processors (codenamed Pinnacle Ridge)  

For some general info, > https://cpu.userbenc...2600X/619vs3956

The build gives you really good options for upgrading in the future, should you want too.

The SSD is big enough to hold heaps of games and programs.

Intel build would be more expensive, I can giver you that option if you prefer. 

How was the Price?

Do you have your Windows 8.1 Pro installation media?

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am sure I could find a cheaper alternative for the RAM sticks and the motherboard as I am not going for looks.
As for the case, I am using a different now, not the Dell Optiplex, that thing is long gone. Cannot tell you the exact model as I am pretty sure I wouldnt find it even if I wanted to.
I do have an SSD myself that I will add when I am putting the system together which will be solely just for Windows. For storage I am probably use a regular HDD as those have been proven to be cheaper.
As for the Windows version, I will be using w10

If you have free time, you can do the Intel one, but I think the Ryzen one fits me more. I am more intrigued in what AMD has to offer because I've never used any of their products and this seems promising.

Thanks!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

For your info.

The new MB, does not have WiFi.   If you decide to look for something else, choose Chipsets x470 or x570, or you will have issues running any 2nd and up AMD CPU without a BIOS update, With any MB you need to consult the CPU QVL for the selected board.

RAM.  Cheapest compatible, without going to strange brands.

rock bottom AMD price, >  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YKQyWb