Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Separating Windows 10 from Hotmail

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

I just log on this new system to get it up and running. It's running Windows 10. It asked me when I set it up about my Microsoft account. Stupid me I put in my hotmail email account thinking nothing of it. NOW though it's telling me the passwords are the same for all my Microsoft programs, computers, and emails. 

I am not happy about this. Also it's telling me that in 30 days if I don't authenticate my email address I will be denied access to my accounts. The problem with that is that it's telling me that they sent the authentication email to some Telus (internet provider) account that IF it was set up it would have been about 12 years ago, I also do not want for any reason the email for my phone be attached to my laptop. I do not ever have anything online have my phone number attached to anything I do online if I can help it.  I have no earthly idea what the password or even the full email account would be.

Is there any way of fixing this.... 

I'm going to try pasting the email they sent me to the bottom of this post

Thank you so much for any help that I can get on this problem

Microsoft account Security info replacement Someone started a process to replace all of the security info for the Microsoft account [email protected]. If this was you, you can safely ignore this email. Your security info will be replaced with [email protected] when the 30-day waiting period is up. If this wasn't you, someone else might be trying to take over [email protected]Click here and we'll help you protect this account. Thanks, The Microsoft account team

Edit by paws: email addresses removed

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I am not quite certain what to say here.

A Microsoft Account can be set up with any e-mail address you like.  If you wish to have that address changed you can log in to your Microsoft Account, go to the Your Info tab, then use the Manage how I login link to add or remove the e-mail address(es), phone number(s), etc., that are associated with the account.  You must have at least one e-mail address or phone number, as there needs to be a primary identifier for your account to allow you to log in.

I have never seen an e-mail like the one you've posted, and the only earthly reason I can imagine it would be sent is if someone (and that someone should be you, unless you were hacked) logged in to your account, did as I instructed above, and deleted what had been the primary e-mail alias for the account and replaced it with another.  You need to log in to your Microsoft Account to check that.

The very nature of using a Microsoft Account, period, is that all Microsoft services can be accessed using a single password.  Hotmail is a Microsoft Service.  This is not unlike Google where a single login id (typically one's Gmail address) and password get you access to Gmail, Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Hangouts, and the list goes on because those services are all associated with a single account.  You can't "divorce" them.  If you were not using a Hotmail account, then the passwords could be different, as mine are for my Microsoft Account and actual Google Account, though I use the same Gmail address for both.

By the way, for your own security, you really don't ever want to post your own e-mail address on a forum such as this.  That's not due to the membership being a risk, but because there are web crawlers looking for every blessed e-mail address they can stumble across to use for spamming and other purposes.  And in this case, if the address provided is real rather than an example, it actually gives someone an address tied to your Microsoft account, so you will want to log in to your account, go to the Your Info tab, Manage how I log in link, and change that now anyway.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Brian makes good points so I have removed the email addresses...

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

thank you both so much... i'll log on and find out what other information is needed. 

I must have been the late hour of my annoyance because normally I would have blacked out the email addresses in the forward I put in the original post.

Thank you again.

I will post if there are any other concerns.