Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recomendation and advice on W7 to W10 upgrade please.

W7 Upgrade.

• Please log in to reply

londonkj

londonkj

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hi all, I have an older desk top HP Z600 Workstation. with upgraded SSD and Nvidia  Quadro FX 1800 which I use for music and movies and streaming etc, attached to my TV. was an old CAD computer of mine and it runs sweet as I put in an SSD a while back and it does exactly what i need it to do. Now MS telling me W7 not going to be maintained, and advice from them as you have probably seen is to purchase a new computer! outrageous! anyways.... anyone have any good ideas on best ways of upgrading OS and if its worth it... I can put my comp spec on here if that helps. Thanks in advance! cheers

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Please post the full specs, I suspect that it could be upgraded to Windows 10 just fine and you can do that for free...

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

It would absolutely help to know the machine's specs.  Since I wrote what follows it appears that Piriform is no longer offering the portable version, or at least it wasn't the last time I visited the download page.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report them on BleepingComputer

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded or unzip the ZIP file if you prefer to use the portable version. 

a.  If you choose to run the installer - Note:  The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time).  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.  When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button. 

b.  If you go with the portable version just fire up Speccy from the unzipped folder location.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3.  From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4.  You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5.  Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note:  If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3.   This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You should have absolutely no problem upgrading from what I've been able to find about the standard specs on that workstation from a quick web search.

See the instructions:  Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The only difference between a Repair Install and an in-place upgrade is that you have an earlier version of Windows running before kicking off setup.exe.  The steps are otherwise the same.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

hi guys, thanks for the posts, much appreciated

here is the spec for my machine in txt format attached.

thanks for the help!

cheers

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

this time!

thanks.

Attached Files

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

There are apparently issues with Windows 10 and at least some of the Xeon processors.

See:  

why doesn't intel xeon support windows 10??? - Microsoft ...

In that topic, a poster named Matt McCabe mentions this article (which has moved, his link is dead but this is it):  How to Fix: CPU Not Compatible with Windows 10 Error

Even thought that article dates from way back in 2015, it does contain some useful information you can use to confirm whether or not your Xeon may be compatible with Windows 10.  I have an old ASUS laptop that cannot be updated to Windows 10 due to CPU incompatibility.  It is no surprise that certain hardware produced way before Windows 10 existed is not compatible with it, but what is a surprise is just how much ancient hardware does, indeed, run Windows 10.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Info.

Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only

https://docs.microso...or-requirements

The question fis, does the free upgrade include those OSs?

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

hmmm. so whats the consensus? go for it or not? thanks.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

hmmm. so whats the consensus? go for it or not? thanks.

Well, do you take routine full system image backups (and have you ever recovered from one, just for practice)?    If so, there's nothing to be lost by trying to upgrade, the worst it can do is give you the message that you cannot do so, and that comes very early in the process.

I long ago learned, when it comes to Windows 10, there are many, many, many machines never designed for it nor certified for it that work just fine running it.  Provided you have a guaranteed way to restore your Windows 7 system should the need or desire arise, I say go for it.  Windows 7 is going to drop out of support very shortly, and if you can upgrade to Windows 10 successfully that's the way to go.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

i only have music on the hard drive and a handfull of programs as its not my main PC. will give it a whirl and see what it says! i am guessing it till tell me before W7 has been completely removed from my machine...

thanks

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

One of the earliest things the Windows 10 installer does is to check for hardware compatibility.  Not quite early enough, in my opinion, as it will do a couple of things that take time prior to that and what's the point if the hardware is incompatible?

But, it does it early enough that there has not been even a partial actual installation of Windows 10 so there is no need even to roll back.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I would go for it as well.   Last night when trying to post, site was down, so this might be a bit late.

Here is a blog about the free upgrade, 

https://www.zdnet.co...ows-10-upgrade/

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

hi guys, it looks to have worked! although the internet is not yet working on that machine, will do some investigation when i get a chance later, but it kept all my old software and files and was pretty painless in the end, as long as i can get the internet hooked up soon. thanks for the advice... now to find my ancient laptop and see if that will upgrade too! :-)

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

me here again. my computer has seemed to update well, however the internet doesnt seem to be available. I can access MSN.com from MS Edge, and click on the articles that are on there, but when i go to any web sites on firefox or even web sites on edge, it says no access. i have tried using a network cable from my router instead of wifi but still not luck... just the MSN.com sites. i am guessing there is a setting that has changed since my update. any ideas out there friends? thanks

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Maybe the Antivirus software installed is not compatible with Windows 10 or need to be removed and reinstalled. When reinstalling make sure the version is the latest to work properly on Windows 10.