Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Slow

Slow Startup Slow Shut down Hangs

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I know Kaspersky updates its definitions daily but I'm not so sure about the program itself.  Don't know what the latest version is so thought trying to update it would make sure it was the latest.

Did you install Anydesk?  If so that's fine but if you didn't you should uninstall it.

See if you can turn off the

sysmain

service.  Search for

services.msc

and hit Enter.  That should bring up the Services window.  Scroll down to Sysmain and right click and select Properties.  Stop the service then change the Startup Type: to Manual.

Sysmain seems to be a system hog and doesn't really do much so most people turn it off.  If you decide things were better with it you can always go back in and change the Startup Type to Automatic (delayed) and then Start it.

Copy the next two lines:

mkdir  C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer
mkdir  C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database

Open an Elevated Command prompt

Right click and if the text doesn't appear hit Paste or Edit then Paste.  Hit Enter.

This just corrects a Microsoft error.  It can't write to the log because the folders do not exist.  Once we create them it should be able to write to the log all it wants.

Looking at your Support page from Acer I see that you should have

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

but there is no sign of it.  See if you can download save and  install the one on the ACER page:

https://www.acer.com...roduct/5977?b=1

I have all AMD PCs so can't test the effect of not having it but my understanding is removing it will significantly slow things down.  Once you get it installed and reboot, go into Settings, Update & Security and check for updates to see if there is a newer version for your PC.

Try Latency Monitor again and see if anything has changed for the better.

We can check the boot log to see if there is a problem at boot:

Search for

msconfig

hit Enter

Click on the Boot Tab

check the box for Boot Log  OK.

Reboot and then find and post the log which should be at C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt

If you can't see it then tell Windows to let you see it:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Firefox seems to be using a lot of memory.  Try running it in Safe Mode:

https://support.mozi...using-safe-mode

Then run Process Explorer again and post its log.

Probably an extension is at fault so it may help to go into

about:addons

from Firefox and then turn each extension off (click on the 3 dots at the right of the extension and click on Disable).  Restart Firefox.  Note the memory used by the different Firefox entries (Private Bytes column).  Then enable each extension, restart Firefox and compare to the memory used

See if you can find the culprit.  (Hint usually faster to do 1/2 of the extensions at one time then 1/2 of the remaining)

Let's also run DxDiag

In the Search box type:  dxdiag

wait for it to find it.  Right click on dxdiag.exe and Run As Admin.
Yes
Once it finishes (green line in bottom left goes away)

Save All Information.  Point it at your desktop and it should save it as dxdiag.txt.

Exit

Double click on dxdiag.txt and copy and paste the text into a reply.

Can I see a new FRST scan?

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Will do as directed now.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

1. Attended to sysmain
2. Did the TileDataLayer stuff
3. The Intel RST part is a bit confusing.  
https://www.acer.com...gy (Intel® RST
4. Latency Monitor, ntbtlog, and Process Explorer (safe mode), and DxDiagn and FRST  details are attached.
5. Removed unnecessary add-ons.

System considerably quicker now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Intel.jpg
  • LatMonMain.jpg

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Your article flags IRST versions between 15.1.0.1002 and 15.5.2.1053
as a problem but there is nothing about version 14 so you should be able to install the one on the Acer website  (Version:14.5.0.1081) or perhaps 14.8.16.1063  from Intel:

https://downloadcent...face-and-Driver

Speccy claims you have 5th generation Intel so you probably can't run the newest versions.

You might want to turn System Restore on and make a restore point before you do it just to be safe.

Looking at the results from Latency Monitor the processes slowing things down are all MS Windows so faster disk access is probably what we need.  (That and more memory.  Don't suppose adding another 4 GB of RAM is an option?  Speccy says you have a free slot.)

I don't think we have run OOSU10.exe:

https://www.oo-softw...com/en/shutup10

Download and Save it (You will get a popup while it's downloading.  You can X out of it)
then Right click and Run As Admin.
Allow it to make a System Restore Point.
Click on Actions then on Apply Recommended Settings.

Close the program and reboot.

After each major Windows version update it's wise to rerun the program and Revert the changes.

This little program stops a lot of the Win 10 traffic back to MS so saves your network bandwidth and CPU time for important stuff.

I would uninstall

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (HKLM-x32\...\{9d54562c-195e-463a-9d06-3c71c3998dfb}) (Version: 19.11.46.6 - Intel)

I don't think it's worth the CPU/Memory load to keep it running.  Also not convinced it works all that well.

Search for

task scheduler

hit Enter

Click on Task Scheduler Library.  Look in the Pane to the right.  If there are any Intel tasks left after uninstalling Intel® Driver & Support Assistant right click on each and Disable.

Also: click on the arrow in front of Task Scheduler Library then on the arrow in front of Microsoft then on the arrow in front of Window then on Windows Defender.  You probably have 3 tasks in the next pane.  Right click on each and Disable.  No need for these to keep running when you have Kaspersky.

Do you need Bonjour?  It's an Apple thing which detects Apple products on your local net and when they are plugged into a USB.  If you can live without it I would uninstall it as it causes a lot of network chatter.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

1. Uninstalled Bonjour
2. Installed 14.8.16.1063  from Intel
3. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant 19.11.46.6 uninstalled and tasks disabled
4. Windows Defender not seen in Task Scheduler Library.  On further searching, it says Windows Defender is managed by Kaspersky.
5. Installed OOSU10 and did as instructed.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Any improvement in the speed or in latency Monitor?

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Any improvement in the speed or in latency Monitor?

Definitely quicker than before.  I'll run Lat Mon again

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Latency Monitor Logs

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

All three of the txt files are of the summary page so something went wrong.  I can see we are doing better compared to the first Latency Monitor we did.  DPC Count is down 30% and pagefaults have been cut in half.  Still room for improvement.  Please rerun (after you do the following).  Try to keep the time it runs about the same. (20 to 25 seconds)

I forgot to tell you to turn off the boot logging.  Search for msconfig

hit Enter then Boot tab and uncheck Boot Log.  OK.  No need to reboot for it to take effect.

Since you are using Classic Shell (as any sane person would do) I assume you are not interested in the usual Win 10 desktop squares with things like weather and news and whatever.  We can get rid of some of the most CPU intensive which may cut down on the number of pagefaults and speed up booting.  Right click over the clock and select Task Manager.  Select More Details if the option is present at the bottom otherwise click on the App History tab.  Sort things by most CPU time used by clicking once or twice on the CPU column header until the apps with most CPU are at the top.  Usually you will see several Weather and News apps and photos and office in the top 5.  Go to the Start button on your desktop then All Programs.  Scroll down until you see Apps and click on it.  Find the first one you don't need says it's Weather and right click on it Uninstall.  Confirm you want to uninstall it.  Repeat for any others you don't have  any use for.  In particular the one called Photos is a trouble maker as it is slow to start, often hangs and seems to hunt through the HD looking for pictures to display.  The one for Office is just a teaser trying to get you to install the latest Office so unless you are paying for the latest Office you don't need it.  There are probably faster ways to remove them but I know this works.  Also remove things like Xbox toolbar and any games that you don't want.  Mine was offering Bubblewitch 3 for some reason.

Reboot when done and if you go back to App History you will find they are gone.

Measure the time it takes to shutdown and the time it takes to start.  If you have to put in a password how long does it take from hitting Enter until the Desktop no longer give you the hourglass?  Does it still seem excessive?  If so:

Search for msconfig
hit Enter then select Diagnostic Startup

OK.
Reboot.

Let it settle down - about 2-3 minutes  run Latency monitor for about 20-25 seconds and see if it likes your system now.  then reboot again this time:

Measure the time it takes to shutdown and

Does it seem a lot faster?  Go back into msconfig and hit Selective Startup , uncheck Startup Items then Apply.   Reboot.  This time measure the time it takes to start.  If you have to put in a password how long does it take from hitting Enter until the Desktop no longer gives you the hourglass?  If it takes a long time to boot again then go into MSCONFIG and click on Services.  Check the hide Microsoft Services box at the bottom then Uncheck everything that remains (except Kaspersky related entries)  OK.  Reboot.  A slow shutdown indicates a bad service.  We would expect a fast start if one of the services was bad.  If you notice a big difference you can go back into msconfig and check 1/2 of the unchecked services.  OK and reboot.  Remember it doesn't take effect until the reboot.  Try and find the service which is slowing things down. 

If a Startup item seems to be the problem you have to go to Task Manager and the tab Startup.  Then select each item and disable it.  This is pretty slow so I like to get Autoruns:

from
http://live.sysinter...om/autoruns.exe

Download Save and Run the program by right clicking and Run As Admin.  Under Everything you can uncheck everything in the first four section (purple headers) .  These end in \Run  or \Startup.  When you close the program and reboot it should turn off all of the Startup items.  Same drill as before.  If it helps go back and turn on 1/2 and reboot and see if it slows down.  If yes then uncheck about 1/2 of those you just checked.  If not check about 1/2 of the remaining.  Try to isolate to a particular item or two.

When done make sure most things are rechecked.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Will do as directed.  It's 6.30 AM here.  The cursor vanished when I first switched on the laptop.  I had to switch off Power and restart.

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

1. 90 seconds to shut down, 150 seconds to start (up to lock screen), 180 seconds after lock screen password).
2. Deleted unwanted apps as advised.
3. How do I include Kaspersky Total Security in startup?  I have to do it manually every time.
4. Logs attached.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The processes and drivers files are not what they should be.  Just summary reports.

Not sure why Kaspersky isn't starting.  It has all of the usual entries in FRST.  Next time you reboot run a FRST scan before you try to manually start Kaspersky.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Restarting after FRST now.

Attached Thumbnails

• LatMonMain.PNG
  • LatMonProcesses.PNG
  • LatMonDrivers.PNG

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

FRST logs before Kaspersky manually switched on.

Attached Files

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Timed again now.

32 seconds to shut down

158 seconds till lock screen comes back after restart

5 seconds after lock screen password is typed.

Again, Kaspersky manually enabled.