Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Slow

Slow Startup Slow Shut down Hangs

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Kaspersky appears to be turned off (unchecked) in either Autoruns or MSCONFIG/Startup or Task Manager/Startup:

==================== MSCONFIG/TASK MANAGER disabled items ==

HKU\S-1-5-21-3076391084-2480122960-4283986350-1002\...\StartupApproved\StartupFolder: => "Kaspersky Internet Security.lnk"

It also shows up with a signing problem:

Date: 2019-12-18 11:43:00.576
Description:
Code Integrity determined that a process (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) attempted to load \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 20.0\x64\antimalware_provider.dll that did not meet the Windows signing level requirements.

Looking at the first FRST scan I see we have updated from version 19 to version 20 so either Kaspersky forgot to sign their file or you got a bad download so Reinstalling might help.  Sometimes if you go to Control Panel, Programs & Features and click on Kaspersky then right click there will be an entry for Repair or Change.  If you decide to uninstall it then reinstall as they recommend you probably need to make sure you have your license info before you do that.

Your last Latency Monitor probably would have passed if you  had closed Firefox before running it. 

We are seeing errors from the Intel tasks.  Go back into Task Scheduler and make sure they are Disabled.

The shutdown time on the last one is pretty good.  Startup isn't great but with only 4GB and a non-SSD it's going to be slow.  You will probably find that Kaspersky is part of the startup delay.  If you decide to uninstall Kaspersky and Reinstall try timing a reboot while it is uninstalled.

In Task Manager, Startup there is a time for LAST BIOS TIME in the upper right.  What does it say?  Also on some Win 10's you get real numbers in the Startup Impact column.  If so can I get a screenshot?

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Kaspersky is installed on an annual basis by my comp guy.  I have the key but I am not confident about uninstalling/reinstalling it.

Attached Thumbnails

• StartupBIOS.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK but go to Start, All Programs, Startup and look to see if Kaspersky Internet Security

is there.  Right click on it if you find it and select Properties.  What does it say for Target?

Also rerun Latency Monitor with Firefox closed.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Will now run Lat Mon after shutting down Firefox.

Attached Thumbnails

• Startup apps.PNG

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Latency Monitor Reports (offline).

Attached Thumbnails

• LatMonMain.PNG
  • LatMonProcesses.PNG
  • LatMonDrivers.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

That looks much better.   Finally got a green result.

Your Firefox seems to be using a lot of memory and you only have 4 GB so we need to figure out what is eating the memory in Firefox. 

With just one tab open (to this page) if I look at Task Manager I see I have 4 instances and together they use 657 MB. 

taskMan.jpg

This is with the following extensions:

ext.jpg

What do you have?

Go into Firefox's safe mode

https://support.mozi...using-safe-mode

or

https://www.top-pass...x-in-safe-mode/

What do you have in Task manager now?

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

That looks much better.   Finally got a green result.

Your Firefox seems to be using a lot of memory and you only have 4 GB so we need to figure out what is eating the memory in Firefox. 

With just one tab open (to this page) if I look at Task Manager I see I have 4 instances and together they use 657 MB. 

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?s=fb7ebc36fa00d481f9002e78f783e439&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=374212&p=2643800&md5check=885b11e7f8bdf651d99ed30fa759359b&isRte=1,mKmPV3o1Px,true,true,aqKckakQH1c');//]]></script> taskMan.jpg&&0

This is with the following extensions:

ext.jpg

What do you have?

Go into Firefox's safe mode

https://support.mozi...using-safe-mode

or

https://www.top-pass...x-in-safe-mode/

What do you have in Task manager now?

This is in safe mode.  Apologies for the delay in replying.  Wife wasn't well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.PNG
  • 2.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Delays are no problem.  I don't really keep track.  Hope your wife is feeling better today.

So it looks like one of the Add-ons is causing the problem. 

I've just learned that Firefox has its own task manager which makes this simple:

Go to

about:performance

and it will show you which add-ons slow you down and how much memory they use.

add.jpg

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Is this it?

PS. Wife still sick.  Resting now.

Attached Thumbnails

• addon.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Looks pretty good.  You could change out ghostery for Ublock Origin and save a few megs but things seem to be pretty good now.  Does Latency Monitor still show red when you have Firefox running?

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Looks pretty good.  You could change out ghostery for Ublock Origin and save a few megs but things seem to be pretty good now.  Does Latency Monitor still show red when you have Firefox running?

Removed Ghostery. Installed uBlock Origin.  Latency Momitor does not show red now.  Screen shot attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• LatMonMain.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Looks like Firefox is still causing some pagefaults but that may be as good as we can get without adding RAM.  Can I see another Process Explorer?

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Here it is...

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

In Firefox, go to

about:preferences

Scroll down to where it says:

Performance

Uncheck

Use Recommended Performance Settings

Make sure Use Hardware Acceleration is checked.

Change

Content Process Limit

to 1

Restart Firefox.

Rerun Process Explorer.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Done.

Attached Files